How to change Autosave interval?

I installed LibreOffice Writer on a new computer and the autosave feature is extremely annoying. Every 10 minutes or so it does an autosave which takes 45 seconds to complete. It is running on a slow computer with a document of hundreds of pages (ODT). It wouldn’t be so bad if it could do the autosave in the background, but no. I have to wait for the green progress bar “Saving document…” to complete.

I went to Options > Load/Save and changed “Save Autorecovery information every 30 minutes” but it still backs up every 10 minutes. I even disabled it and it still backs up. Is there another setting and I can change to prevent these autosaves from running so often? I am using Writer v7.3.0.3.

TIA

And you restarted LibreOffice after the changes?

The problem machine is a new VirtualBox Win10 where I did a clean install of LO Writer. After a few hours of work I will shut the computer down and restart it the next day.This problem has been going on for a week, since I installed Writer in the VBox. Rebooting the computer won’t solve the problem.

I have the document open for hours at a time. I will add some text, and every few minutes it says “Saving document…” in the status bar with the long green progress bar. This takes 45 seconds and I have to wait for it to complete. I will do some more typing and every 10 minutes or so, it does another autosave and I have to wait some more. I don’t recall Writer ever doing this on the original computer, outside of the VBox, using the same large file and the same version of Writer.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there an option I can use to turn off the auto save?

I have not encountered this.

After disabling Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Save AutoRecovery information every:[ ] , when you go back into the setting is the box ticked again? Might be a permissions issue in virtualbox

If writing to settings works OK, the next day when you open Tools > Options > Load/Save > General is Save AutoRecovery information every: still unticked? Does virtualbox restore the previous settings on opening?

The “Save AutoRecovery Information Every [ ] minutes” is disabled and stays disabled between sessions. Even so, every 10 minutes the autoback starts and lasts for 45 seconds so I have to stop typing because the Writer interface is frozen. I can change this to 90 minutes and enable it, and it still backs up every 10 minutes.

Is there another program option that executes the “Saving document…” progress bar in the status bar? I just installed this version of LO Writer so it is using all of its default settings in a newly installed version of Win10. It also did these autosaves on my old computer too.

I think it is a bug in version 7.3 and possibly 7.2.
I may have to go back to an earlier version of Writer because I am losing around 10% of my productivity. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was a small ODT file, but this one is hundreds of pages…

You might be right. You get to report a bug.

1. I had an autosave occur in Writer 7-3-1-3, with autoRecovery disabled, while I was staring at the Options dialogue

2. With AutoRecovery disabled for both, if I search for autosave in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Advanced > Expert Configuration

• In LO 7.2.5.2 I see
      AutoSave7-2-5-2
    • In LO 7.3.1.3 I see AutoSave still enabled in org.openoffice.Office.Recovery. You could, in the meantime, edit that to False
      AutoSave7-3-1-3

When you report a bug, make a comment here with the bug number, e.g.12345, in the format tdf#12345 and it will link.

See First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki

And How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

I was wondering if there are any updates to this question. I can confirm I have the same issue: I selected an autosave interval of 3 min, but the actual autosaving still occurs every 10 min.

I tried this in Writer. “About LibreOffice” says the following:

Version: 7.3.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d1d0ea68f081ee2800a922cac8f79445e4603348
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 12.2.1; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Thanks!

Possibly bug tdf#143751. You could add yourself to the CC list.

I prefer to rely on regular saving, rather than autosave. I find it useful just to view this page occasionally to check I am following good practice, Preventing data disaster - The Document Foundation Wiki . Cheers, Al

1 Like

What is strange on my LO 7.3.3.2 under Fedora 36 is that I can’t change the value of the booleans (after double click on the line) shown in the screenshot while I can modify the long values.
Are Enabled and UserAutoSaveEnabled locked by software?

@ajlittoz I can alter the autosave interval in the Advanced Settings and the change is reflected in Load/Save > General, I can toggle both the boolean Enabled and the UserAutoSaveEnabled and those changes are retained on re-opening. I just don’t know that the setting is respected by the software as in my comment of Mar 14. Cheers, Al

Version: 7.3.2.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 49f2b1bff42cfccbd8f788c8dc32c1c309559be0
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL