How To Change Left Key Function so it doesn't select the cell in Calc?

The Short:

If you double click on a cell to edit it, you can move the cursor left or right with the arrow keys. However, if you select a blank cell and start typing it, then hit the left key to move back, it selects the cell instead! I am looking to get rid of this functionality so that the cursor moves, instead of the cell being selected.

The Explanation:

I often go back and edit cell contents as I am typing it in for the first time. Much to my dismay, I also often forget that the left key selects the cell instead of moving the cursor, so when I go back to add something in (or fix the spelling of a word), I select the cell, possibly moving several cells to the left. Then, I make the edit… only to realize that I have overwritten the contents of some innocent cell! When this happens many times in the same spreadsheet, it begins to get time-consuming and annoying, so I was wondering if there is a way to change this. I couldn’t find instructions anywhere obvious, so I decided to post here.

Thanks to any who could help.

Hi @Steavio99,

I’m not sure how to tweak this key functionality, but hopefully one of the other users of the Ask site will be able to give you instructions :slight_smile:

If you’re still stuck after a while, please file an enhancement bug and ask for the ability to override the default behavior of this key. Don’t forget to mark your bug as an ‘enhancement’. The QA team will be happy to help you triage your feature request in the bugtracker.

Please post a link to any bugs you file in a comment below using the format “fdo#123456”.

Thanks!