How to change the floating point format (like between, float, double, quad)?

Can I change floating point format in the excel table?
Below sample case I try check double format accuracy:
LONGFORMAT.xls (12 KB)
But the values can be entered only as string.
It might need quad or WFA (wolfram alpha) style cells for the higher accuracy cases checking.
(and to check whatsoever this related).

Calc cells have only one actual content type Number (cellobject.Type=1) which always is represented by an IEEE 754 Double as the type of cellobject.Value.
Everything else listed under 4.3 of the specification for ODF OASIS 1.3. Part 4: Recalculated Formula either is a “SubType” implemented only as a partly format-sensitive functionality in specific cases. 4.4 Complex Number actually describes texts composed in a specific way, for which some specialized functions are available. 4.5 Logical (Boolean) as a type different from 4.3.7 Logical (Number) isn’t implemented in LibO Calc.
Numbers with lots of digits like those exemplified using decimal strings in your example aren’t available in Calc. Calculations are done with the ordinary 52 (+1) dyadic digits of the mentioned standard, and the results are rounded in a pragmatic way for display and comparison (and also when saving to a file).

Thus: What do you actually want and need - and why should this be done in a spreadsheet instead of using mathematical software?

I don’t think there is an extension to Calc like " xl Precision" for Excel.
You may ask the author of that software if a port to Calc is possible/intended/available.

1 Like