How to change themes

I don’t like the theme in the Libreoffice 4. How do I change it?

1 Like

LibreOffice has an UI (user interface) theme and icon theme.

LibreOffice’s UI theme is controlled by your desktop operating system’s theme, so by changing your operating system’s theme, you will also change LibreOffice’s theme. You can also change the UI theme by setting a Firefox Persona theme in Tools > Options > Personalization.

LibreOffice’s icon theme is set in Tools > Options > View, under the heading ‘Icon Size and Style’. The drop down list will contain the available list of icon sets accessible to LibreOffice. If you are running Linux, your Linux distribution may not have pre-installed all the available icon sets that you may want to try. Some useful icon set packages are libreoffice-style-tango (the default theme), libreoffice-style-human (theme used in ubuntu), libreoffice-style-sifr (monochrome theme), libreoffice-style-oxygen (good theme for KDE) and libreoffice-style-galaxy (libreoffice’s previous default theme).

1 Like

Sifr seems to be coming up as the default theme on many recent Linux distro defaults, while Tango, Galaxy et al are missing altogether. I’ve had to install them as packages and restart LO in order to select a colorful icon theme.

Yes i noticed that a monochrome theme was used on Linux Mint, but it wasnt sifr, it was Faenza and i had to install the icon packages to get the rest. I’m assuming ubuntu does the same, but they are using the Human icon theme, which is a tango-like theme.

If you mean the icon theme then go to menu Tools > Options. On the Options dialog select on the left LibreOffice > View and then Icon style.

I will share what I did to make libreoffice a little bit eye-candy :slight_smile:

(Note: I’m a linux user. I don’t know if this is posible on Windows and Mac). If you are using any linux distro:

1. Install libreoffice-gtk (this will integrate your theme with you system theme (ex. font and style)

2. Install libreoffice-style-oxygen or libreoffice-style-crystal and then follow Pedro’s disrections above (Tools > Options > View).

Hope this helps!

Thank you for this tip. This is my first time to use Libre office 5 64 bit for windows. I migrated from MS 2013. I’m still tinkering what Libre Office can do for me as a home user.

I’m jumping on this thread because I would like to download a theme for LibreOffice 5. I’m on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. How to I install new themes?

You can add a new theme (a theme is a zip file containing all icons) by copying it to the /share/config folder of your LibreOffice and then enabling it in LibreOffice settings.

Exemple of a downloadable theme here : Office 2013 theme for LibreOffice