How to Connect to Remote Templates on a Local Network?

I am working for a small government agency where we use a local network. For our LibreOffice Writer (LO-W) documents, I am looking for a way to use .ott templates that would be located on the server. This way, if we want to correct some elements of a template, it would be done in a centralized way.

I order to try this, I set up a WAMP local server (http://localhost:80) on my laptop (Windows 7). I use LO-W version 7.0.2.2.

I believe one way of achieving this would be to fetch the templates (.ott) on the server using the “Open Remote” wizard. However, I am unable to establish any connection using the official documentation.

My templates are stored in http://localhost:80/templateserver/templates/ :

image description

No file is displayed when I use the following connection parameters:
image description

image description

QUESTION: How am I supposed to configure the “Remote File” wizard when working on a local network?
(Also, if there is any other way to use remote templates, please let me know)

I just map the drive on my local Windows machine, say H for home. I then add the path for the template folder in LibreOffice. Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Paths > Templates, click Edit. In the new dialog click Add, navigate to the network Templates folder and press the button Select Folder. I then get the option to choose which path is the default for new templates. OK out. For linux it is quite similar

@D_D: don’t delete questions you’ve asked, all the more when answers have been given.

Apparently, you’ve commented my answer to 280502/how-to-display-a-choice-from-an-input-list-in-another-field but you deleted the question. I can’t then read this comment.

When you’re satisfied with an answer or consider your question is no longer relevant, close it with a reason indicating why.

You can perhaps “revive” the question by clicking on your name. This will open your user profile with the list of questions you’ve asked. Click on the deleted one. With a bit of chance, it will display. In this case there is an undelete link. Click it. Then close the question with the right reason.

Deleting questions orphans links from others. Only spam is liable to deletion.

@D_D: – addition –

I got a notification of this comment but I can’t get rid of the notification until I access the question. Please undelete your question so that my notification icon reverts to normal operation. I know of a hack but it is twisty and I’d prefer the standard mechanism.

Configure a file server on the remote using Samba or SMB protocol.

Create a mount point (network disk) on every workstation to connect to the “template” directory on the server.

Modify LO configuration on every workstation in Tools>Options, LibreOffice>Paths to add the path the mount point or server directory for category Templates.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

Thanks for your proposal! I think it would actually do the job. In order to allow my IT folks to modify this path for >500 computers, do you know in file LO file this path is stored?

It is likely in ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu (Fedora Linux name, adapt to your OS).

I have never tried to change this file directly. The method could be to configure LO on a “representative” computer A and to copy the file on computer B. But this will also erase the existing preferences on computer B. Experiment.

Thank you! I tried your approach on my laptop, and it looks like the right solution. I combined it with the “Template Changer” extension to allow easy selection of templates. I hope I will not have bad surprises when I will try to implement it for real.