How to convert table in section in libreoffice writer

I am creating a document where I am using section. One challenge I faced is formatting sections. Like there is no preview how your text will look when you change the width of section or when you add or remove something from first section, formatting of subsequent sections messes up. However it is much more easy with tables. like instead of using 3 sections you will use 1x3 table.
but I noticed that if I copy table and paste it in kwrite/gedit, I got some marker characters defining row boundaries. something like:
ļƒ  col1 ļ‚˜ col2 ļ‚Œ col3

I donā€™t want that. so is there any way to convert table into section or any alternative approach?

You wonā€™t get any help without OS name, LO version and save format. Add these to your question by editing it. Donā€™t answer with a comment. To reopen the question, click on ā€¦ below it, then on the ā€œpencilā€ icon.

??? Writer is WYSIWYG unless you changed the view (menu View for Normal and Whitespace; also Formatting Marks and the various ā€œboundariesā€ provide great help when tuning layout and formatting).

Sections and tables have not the same purpose. In multi-column section, text flows from one column to the next when it is full. A table is intended for ā€œtabularā€ data, i.e. each cell is a separate ā€œdocumentā€ and text cannot spill over another cell.

Kwrite/gedit are text editors, not document processors. Any formatting will be lost when you paste part of a document there. Writer formatting is not based on ā€œmarkersā€. Consequently, you should not have these strange characters.

As far as can judge by your insertion, these markers seem to have 0xF0yz encoding. They are inside the Private Use Area Unicode block. Such characters are usually the result of using legacy fonts which have been converted in a simplistic way to Unicode. They were 256-character fonts with glyphs 0x80-0xFF shifted into the PUA to make them ā€œcompatibleā€ with Unicode.

For better analysis, attach your document to the question.

1 Like