How to Duplicate a page in Writer

I know that this question has been posed before, however, none of the answers seem to address this basic need. I am setting up a planner. I need to insert pages that will be exactly like the preceding one. Elements in the page includes:
Header with title
Header background
Body with lines
Footer with page number and company name
Footer

Is there an easy way to just copy the hole page style into another page? If not, what is the easiest way to go about this?
Thank you for your help.

You mean a template file. A page style defines certain formatting details, like enable a header, but it doesn’t include any text to be put in the header. If you want to srire a lot of letters or reports with the formatting that you describe, you have to make a special file with that formatting and the content in the headers and footers. Then save that as a template instead of a normal document. After that, hou start a new documwnt based on that template and you have it all with no more effort.
Remember that the content in the headers and footers will appear on all pages with the same page style, so what’s your problem?

1 Like

Here is what the page looks like. It has a header and footer, both have a background block behind them.
The rest of the page is a title and lines going down the page.
You can see the format of the footer.

The problem is, when I click on page break, I just get a new page with basically not formatting as you can see.

Thank you for your help. So I made a template. However, that does not help because I already have a 28 page document that I am trying to add this page to. I understand how the template would help if I were making a new document, however, as I mentioned in the first post, I need to insert pages that will be exactly like the preceding one.

After playing around with a copy of the original document I discovered that it has no header or footer. They just added that as part of the document. Never seen that before.
The information about creating a template for the header and footer would have helped if it the document would have been set up that way.

In the original document the graphic mag have been inserted as background for just that page.

You can copy the content of the original file and paste it into a new one, based on your new template.

Please upload your ODF type sample file here.

First, make a new Page Style, and anchor images, frames (with dotted lines) and background to the Header.
Then you can insert new pages with this style, or apply the style to already created pages.

I marked your response as the answer because you mentioned making a page style and not a template. It made sense to me to make a page style and use that style over and over again.

Thank you to all who gave input on this problem. See comment under LeroyG’s answer why I chose this as the solution. It would be the solution that made the most sense, had the original document actually included a header and footer.

If you look closely, and as I later discovered, the “Footer” and “Header” was not actually that but just a part of the page. Like setting up very little margins and using the whole page to as one document and add a top area which resembles a Header and add a bottom area that resembles a footer. Yet neither one is actually placed in the “Header” area where one would normally place a header. Same with the “Footer.” It is basically all one page. Therefore, the answer was simply to copy the entire page and paste it into the next page.

If your document is manually and painfully created to fit into the physical page, you are extremely vulnerable to the slightest change of typography causing complete de-synchronisation with page dimension. This means you are not creating a text-flowing document but you are in a kind of DTP (desktop publishing) context. In this case, Writer is not the right tool. You should have a try with a dedicated application (Scribus is a free one). Or, if you don’t want to leave LO, perhaps give a look at Impress which is slide-oriented.

In Writer, the page is not an object as such. Pages are spawned on the fly, as needed to accomodate content. For this reason, it is often counterproductive to think in terms of pages.

If you intend to create a printed planner for pen entries, I would use a single column table instead. Format with horizontal cell borders, and repeat the heading if you need, or copy the table as needed. A single table across multiple pages and with heading repeat yields a more consistent result, but you lose some flexibility of layout.

1 Like

Hi, I use a way to duplicate the content of a page, with all elements and styles, text, tables, images etc.

1. Select an element on the page.
  2. Press shift and select the rest of the content.
  3. Copy or Ctrl + C.
  4. Paste or Ctrl + V at the top of a new blank page.
    I hope this helps someone.