How to force L.O Writer to allow text to the right of image?

Every image in a writer document forces huge blank areas around the image. The insurmountable obstacle is the existence of an automatic frame around the photograph (for example, containing a caption) to the side of which the entire height of the frame is of necessity one single space as tall as the picture. There is no obvious or simple way around this. Yet all we need is a means to paste the image into the text area, with a sensible space to the side of the picture, and the cursor should then be allowed to be placed there at the top right of the photographic margine, to then easily continue to add text. One of the immediate causes appears to be the necessity the software imposes of “anchoring” the image. How I wonder can we disable anchoring? If that were not imposed on the user, then an image could be inserted, a “wrap” style could be chosen, and the text could be placed to the side of the picture and frame. Not possible currently.
Thanks for the help if you can provide it. I’m trying to attach an image which shows the problem I cannot overcome.

(Edit: activated screenshot -AK)

Anchoring an image is mandatory as it indicates the relationship of the frame (or image, object, …) to the text. The most current anchoring mode is To paragraph which means the frame will follow the paragraph when it moves after editing.

By default, the frame will “punch” a hole in the text flow as wide as the page. This avoids any interaction between the frame and text. As you notice, it results in a huge waste of space and an ugly layout.

To customise this layout, right click on the frame and Properties. Caution! when you add a caption to an image, you have two nested frames: the outer one contains the caption and an inner one for the picture. Be careful to select the outer frame which is in relation with your text flow.

The Wrap tab allows you to choose how the frame interacts with text. The small icons are rather self-explanatory. Use the Spacing settings to create a gutter between the frame and the text. In the Options, the First paragraph associates the frame only with the paragraph it is anchored to (which may create a similar white space to the present situation is the frame is higher than the paragraph). Usually this option should be unchecked.

The position of the frame can be adjusted in the Type tab. I suggest to keep the Paragraph area reference so that the frame does not slip into the margins.

If you have many such frames, create a frame style. Then you only need to apply the style to frames instead of manually setting the parameters over and over again.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

Complicated, but I will try to practice setting these settings. Thank you!