How to get Feynman slash notation in Writer formula

O/S: Windows 10 Pro (build 19045)
LO: 24.2.3.2 (x86_64)

I’m transcribing a quantum physics paper, and the author appears to be using Feynman slash notation in one of his formulas. He has a forward slash through a D. I have been unable to figure out how to accomplish this. I’m currently using D combining with 0338 long solidus overlay, but it is not a true slash through.

Please note that, I can’t use Office Libre extensions because this also needs to be used on a public library computer.

From experiment, it looks like U+0338 LONG SOLIDUS OVERLAY is rendered between glyphs, i.e. at right of the one it is combined with. I have no time to look for a solution just now, but I’ll investigate.

Seems you already did:

Hey I changed the font to “DejaVu Serif” combining with 0338 long solidus overlay and it look great in writer but doesn’t seem to work in a formula.

It seems to work for me. Did you change the font in the Format ⟶ Fonts menu?

See also: tdf#32420 - Add TeX like “\not” to Math

As I explain in How to make Feynman slash? - #7 by ajlittoz, there seems to be some obscure semantics behind COMBINING xxx SOLIDUS OVERLAY. It is related to transcription of poetry meter. From this, I understand that this glyph is supposed to render between characters without changing their spacing.

Consequently, it should not be rendered centered on the character.

About 2/3 of the fonts I have tested display the glyph centered on the character, thus allowing for Feynman notation. The remaining third displays at right of the character, giving corrent rendering for poetry.

IMHO, COMBINING xxx SOLIDUS OVERLAY is not a reliable combining “diacritic” until its semantics is clarified and accepted in all fonts.

Yes, it works in writer but doesn’t seem to work in a formula. It places the slash beside the variable in the formula. It seems that the only font option in formulas is Liberation font. Can I change the font in formula?

As of LibreOffice version 24.2 it should be possible.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/24.2/de#Math

In any version of Math, use Format>Fonts menu. Your formula will be designed accordingly. But Math has some difficult to modify easily existing formulas; it can be done but not in a nice user-friendly way. In addition, you must enter Math to edit them instead of doing this in Writer.

1 Like

Thanks all:
I figured out how to change the font as follows:
Format → Fonts → Modify - Variable → select DejaVu Serif, Italic → OK (button)

Then select the DejaVu font for the given formula. I did have to decrease the font size for DejaVu font.

I hope this will automatically transfer to the library public computers.