How to have one boolean value swith off when another is switched on?

Okay, first off, macros terrify me so, if what I’m asking is too hard then I’ll just walk away. Just tell me.

I have a database of words which I want to categorize as Green; Yellow; Blue or Reject. I’ve imported them into a database and made a form so that I could edit them. I set all 650 words with Green toggled on and the other boolean values toggled off. If I want to switch a word from the Green group to, say, the Blue one I have to perform two operations: Green Off/Blue On.

Being basically lazy, I’m just wondering if there’s an easy way to achieve that, namely, keep all of these values mutually exclusive. If one is on the others will be off.

I’m sure this has been answered before but I’m not really sure how to ask the question or search for the answer.

You won’t need different fields for this. If you open a form for editing, not for input data you could draw a group box and could add option buttons to this group box. All will be saved in one field.

So you could take for “Green” value ‘1’, for “Yellow” value ‘2’ and so on.

See Base Guide → Group box

That sounds like a workable solution, @RobertG. If I leave the field empty on import it should be easier to input the values. I was kind of hoping to just click, click, click radio buttons but I can live with this.

@RobertG: I took what you said and made a list box with the 4 values I wanted connected to a single field. It’s fast. All I have to do is click the desired value, then next record button. Very efficient and I get the actual text value I was after rather than a representative number. Thanx for putting me on the right track.

Radiobuttons: If you click one button all other buttons will be unset. So it is the same solution as a listfield, where only one value could be chosen.

I couldn’t get them to work.

Upload a little example (without private data) - I will have a look.