How to high light the cell next to a data for reference

In the sample spreadsheet I am trying to figure out the best way to do the following:

Column A-E will collect hundreds of data. In Column G-H I would like to reference highlight the latest row values. Column H will be updated as new numbers are added at the end of the Results “list”.

HiLite_Current data.ods (15.9 KB)

I would like some suggestion/solution on how to go about doing this. Thanks for any help.

Hallo
See ⇒ Format ⇒ Conditional Format for Range H2:H26,
the Formula is

COUNTIF(INDEX($A$2:$E$1000;COUNT($A$2:$E$1000)/5);G2)

lotto_hocus_pocus.ods (15.0 KB)

Did I mention that the next draw doesn’t care about what was drawn in the last draw or any draw before that?

Thank you and yes you did. The hocus pocus is for fun only in learning the many ways of using the spreadsheet. I know each number has the same “odds” as the next each time it is played.

So, I learn by asking about the functions in the spreadsheet and I really appreciate learning from those who knows by ideas in how to do something.

Again, thanks for the “teaching” lessons. :+1:

I found out I cannot use the condition function to work in col(K) being a single column (gold background) of data only, can you explain why and how to correct it? I tried different ways, but still lost in trying to get it to work. Thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------col K

Are you just wanting to highlight the number in K that is the last number in the gold column?

The principle of the function is to count all entries and divide that by the number of columns in the entry region, thus giving the index of the last row in that region. So if I understand what you want, you would just divide by 1 instead of 5 and name the gold column region:

COUNTIF(INDEX($GOLD$2:$GOLD$1000,COUNT($GOLD$2:$GOLD$1000)/1),K2)

in the conditional formula for K2:Knn. Of course, the /1 is superfluous.

(When you set the conditional format for a region like K2:K100 and want each formatted cell to refer to itself then you refer to the top left cell in the region as the reference for the formula.)

Joshua4, Thanks for helping.

The row actually starts in row 3:
And using you solution but with row 3, I have:
Range: K3:K27
COUNTIF(INDEX($H$3:$H$1000,COUNT($H$3:$H$1000)/1),K3)
It still will not work. I’m about ready to give up on this.

The same function for the J column works fine. Weird.
J3:J72
COUNTIF(INDEX($C$3:$G$1000,COUNT($C$3:$G$1000)/5),J3)

Finally got it working fine! Thanks to all that help. Have a good week.