How to include the number of a heading in a regular numbered list?

I’m making a regulations document for an event. I’m using LibreOffice this year, but I’d like to continue with the scheme:

{number of chapter}.1
    {number of chapter}.1.1
    {number of chapter}.1.2
{number of chapter}.2

Here is a screenshot as an example:

imagen

Give more details about your requirements. Don’t forget OS name, LO version and save format.

How is your document structured? You mentioned chapters. Are there sub-chapters, sub-sub-chapters, … ?
Is there any potential ambiguity between sub-chapter like “8.1 Additional video constraints” and list item “8.1 Los videos deben …” ?
Have you a TOC? If so, up to which level (Heading n) do you collect headings in it ?

Hi! thanks for replying!

Kernel: 5.10.161-1-MANJARO
LibreOffice 7.4.3.2 40(Build:2)
Save format: both ODT and DOCX

Just chapters (Heading 1) and body text, no subchapters.

No, chapters only have one number, it would be "8. Additional video constraints”, while list items would contain this number + list numbers, just like I shared with the screenshot:

8. Chapter title

• 8.1 Item 1
  • 8.2 Item 2
    • 8.2.1 Subtitem 2.1
    • 8.2.2 Suitem 2.2

The simplest solution is to use Heading n for your list items instead of Text Body + numbering. Then you limit your TOC to first level only.

Important: I bet you created your list items either with Format>Bullets & Numbering or with the toolbar button. This is direct formatting and it is really “sticky” because it overrides styling.

To avoid conflict between chapter numbering and list numbering, first remove your manual list numbering everywhere. Once your items are back to normal paragraphs, and only then, apply Heading n.

I see, thanks! :slight_smile: