How to link from form table to another form?

Hi everybody.

I’m in the process of converting my Filemaker (FM) application to LibreOffice.
In FM I have a PushButton in a table which links to the detailed form for this record. This of course comes handy when tables have lots of columns but you want allow a quick view, too.

The graphic attached shows how this looks. Note the red circle which marks the push button which links to the “Person Form”.

So far I redid what I had in Filemaker, but I can’t put a push button into a table as a column.

Question
How can a link from a table row be established to a form showing the actual record with more detail?

Thanks in advance.

Version: 7.6.7.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: dd47e4b30cb7dab30588d6c79c651f218165e3c5
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 11.7.10; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: osx
Locale: de-AT (de_AT.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

You could create a separate button beneath the table. The button will work like a button inside the table for the row, which is marked inside the table.

I would create a table “Filter”, which only saves one row. You could add a macro to save the current ID for the marked record in thin table and start the form for details, which reads this value from table “Filter”.

1 Like

https://ask.libreoffice.org/uploads/short-url/paGBrUlmruHuRkECM1PHxm7Zyc5.odb from another recent topic. You can pick entries from the table grid, show all the details of the same logical form in separate controls and have subforms showing related records from other record sets.
Opening more windows with related data is a difficult thing to do in this environment.

1 Like

Unfortunately, LOBase is light years away from what FM offers in terms of UI usability. There is nothing like that in Base. At best, you would probably need to set up a macro-activated button outside of the grid control. It also might be possible to use a LOBasic dialog to display the record details, but that might have it’s own intricacies to deal with, and in the end, might not produce the result you’re looking for.

The screenshot shows a form with 34 attributes in design mode with the form navigator in the left docking window. The form represents the entries of Thunderbird address book (SQLite).
The left grid shows display names in alphabetical order. The pairs of labels and controls show the details of the selected display name, the table in the upper right corner belongs to a subform showing the membership groups of the selected display name.

1 Like

Does this in any way relate to my question? If so, please elaborate, I don’t get it.

“Other form” may mean a logical subform in the same window. I just wanted to demonstrate available options.

Thank you, great – before my Form Navigator disappeared, I built form nested subforms six levels “deep” yesterday. LibreOffice works like a charm (as long as Form Navigator is alive, that is :wink: ).