How to permanently deactivate "Wrap text automatically" for a cell? LO 24

Summary

I need a cell with multi lines overflow text permanently without Wrap text automatically

In Calc version 24.2.2.2, I know how to deactivate the Wrap text automatically for a cell. But after I deactivated it, after I edit the cell, after I press Enter key, somehow the Wrap text automatically is reactivated. This is the challenge.

This challenge is new to LibreOffice (LO) version 24. It was not present in LO 7.

Below is the same as above. But with detailed steps and screenshots if you’re interested in those.

Steps

1. Using LibreOffice version 24.2.2.2, using Calc, edit a cell:

2. Now the cell looks like this screenshot below. Notice that the first visible line of text is not wrapped, and its display span from column A to I. This is what I need.

In addition to the fully visible line in this screenshot above, if you double-click on this cell, its content is display with full width. Which is very useful to do multiple edits in long multi lines text. Which includes lots of line breaks.

3. Edit this cell content. For example, add or remove a letter in the text. Then press Enter key to save your edit.

4. Now the cell looks like this screenshot below. Somehow, Calc automatically reactivated the Wrap text automatically configuration. This is the challenge. For this cell, I do not need Wrap text automatically ever. Unless I manually reactivate it.

5. This screenshot below shows that the cell configuration was somehow changed by Calc.

For just one cell and an occasional one small edit, it would be a small challenge to deactivate again Wrap text automatically. Really no big deal.
    But with a team of people doing very large number of edits on large shared cloud documents, this is a major challenge. It is very very very slow to, after each edit, deactivate again the Wrap text automatically. Multiply this by each person, each document, each edit, for this, LO 24 is significantly slower than LO 7.

This challenge is new to LibreOffice (LO) version 24. It was not present in LO 7. In LO 7 a cell with deactivated Wrap text automatically remains deactivated. Unless you manually change the cell configuration.

Using

tdf#159690

1 Like

Thanks @mikekaganski :slight_smile: We confirmed this bug at https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=159690#c24

Meanwhile, for those facing this challenge, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+1 might be useful for a faster access to the Format Cells window. Then temporarily remove the Zombie-Wrap text automatically :man_zombie: :wink: This does not resolve this challenge. But it’s faster than going through the menu to open this window.