How to permanently set Headernumbering font

Hi,

I have updated my sample document and adjusted it all to my needs.

When I create a header in that document it looks like this:

Chapter 1 Header 1

When Pressing CTRL+1 I get the Header 1 as I defined it but the Numbering always uses “Numbering Symbols”. I have created a new numbering style called “Header 1 Numbering” which inherited all its functions / features from “Numbering Symbol”. Now I want to change the numbering style for Header 1 permanently to use “Header 1 Numbering”. However I am unable to do this - not even via “Tools / Chapter Numbering…”.

To be more precise:

I keep this document as a blank document similar to a template. Whenever I create a new document with it I save it under a different name. However the Header 1 numbering always uses “Numbering Symbols” instead of “Header 1 Numbering”. I can not set “Header 1 Numbering” as default numbering for Header 1. See also attached sample document.

How can I permanently change this?

Thanks!

–Gaismair

test.odt

I experimented and effectively Tools>Chapter Numbering reverts to factory configuration. I wonder if this is not the same problem as trying to save a customized Format>Bullets & Numbering. See @Hagar Delest’s answer in 277942/templated-numbering-style-not-respectd-in-new-file.

PS: CAUTION! in LO parlance, a chapter title is a heading; a header is text repeated at top of every page.

Thank you, ajlittoz. I saw that entry already but it did not work. Thank you also for pointing out the difference between heading and header. I constantly mix them up.

Hi Hagar,

Thank you for your reply. I leave it at the moment as is.

Thanks.

–Gaismair

Just FYI - upgraded LO to v7.0.3.1 and the bug is the same. Installing LO v7.0.3.1 parallel shows the same behaviour.

What I found with the upgrade from LO 6.4.x.x to 7.0.3.1 is that LO inherits the settings which leads e.g. to PDF files created as v1.4 whilst the parallel version creates v1.6 PDFs.

I found the source of the issue - When changing the font for “Numbering Symbols” then the issue I reported here is seen. If I create a new document and leave the “Numbering Symbols” font at its defaults then all is fine.

I have also found out that once the font for “Numbering Symbols” has been changed the “Reset” button does not work nor does manually changing the font back to what it originally was does not help either.

I have attached two screen shots of Character Styles that should not be changed at all.

To date I have not found any method to sort this issue.

Apparently you added screenshots (nothing else?).

How should i read “Never change the font”? Is it a request on how to configure a character style so that it does not change the font (face, size, …?) but allowing to change other attributes?

Please explain what you expect from contributors.

Cross-posting!

The Reset button is not what you think. It cancels the changes you made since entering the dialog.

What you want is the Standard (badly-named) button. Its effect is to remove all user-changed settings in the displayed tab (other tabs are unaffected until you also apply Standard in their view), thus returning settings to thei factory state.

What’s wrong with the factory settings, anyway? If you don’t like the properties set in the Numbering Symbols character style, all you have to do is to modify them. You set the font and size to whatever you like - you’d have to do that in a custom-made character style anyway, so you actually save some time by not first “creating” that - and you’re set.

Btw, “header” and “heading” are part of the general printers’ jargon, it’s not specific to LO, or OO. There’s a very simple trick to tell them apart: you apply Heading 1, 2, 3 … styles to headings and Header & Footer to headers (and footers).