How to proportionately resize an image in Writer

Okay, I see what’s happening!

If both boxes are selected, you have to do resizing in three steps:

1. Resize the entire box (image and text) first;
  2. Then resize the image but only within the enlarged boundary;
  3. Get rid of the excess space (if there is any) in the text box.

However, the original problem persists; once an image is inserted and the caption added, if Wordwrap was turned on before the caption was added, wordwrap of any kind, can’t be turned off. The only way is to delete it all and start again!

The “boxes” should be of type TextFrame, the inner one having assigned the FrameStyle named Graphic, the outer one’s stylename Frame.

I don’t know a way to select more than one TextFrame at a time.

1 Like

What object did you allow to edit a property Wordwrap?

To understand and fight this kind of probably convoluted and interdependent issues we should use an (the) unmistakable terminology.

As far as I could see you strill never attached example documents showing thje (more than one!) issues for you.
It may be high time now.

Okay, let me see if I can do it with screenshots as I’m not uploading actual content.

BTW, I never said I was trying to select two TextFrames at the same time. I have an image, I place it in the document, size, position and then I select insert TextFrame (is that better?) and key in my content. If I then double-click on the Graphic, I see that all the options are greyed out. So the image and text are frozen. Whatever parameters I set can’t be changed.

Then it is because you in fact didn’t select the inner frame and remained with the outer frame selected.

This is not the typical MS Windows application with thousands of registry entries. In 20 years I have not seen a single case where re-installing Open/LibreOffice has any effect.
It is always a corrupted user profile which makes some parts of the program behave strangely and unreproducible by others.
Try menu:Help>“Restart in safe mode…”
In the safe mode dialog click “Advanced” and let it make a backup copy of your profile folder.
[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile

I wolldn’t expect you to uplopad any problematic content, but specially produced examples showing the relevant issues for you without unveiling any secrets. Surely the issues must be reproducible. Otherwise a continued discussion won’t lead anywhere.

Screenshots will be useless anyway.

BTW Are you probably working with files having a CV partly lying in the MS realm?

Hah! Do I work for MS? No, no way! I think I know what the problem is now, it’s all about process. I’ll be honest, I really don’t like LO’s interface, it breaks all the ‘rules’ for a GUI. Thus I’ve discovered that accessing the graphics window to edit the graphic, won’t work if you’ve added a caption to the graphic! All the options are frozen. Simple when you know!!!

No, it’s not, it’s because once you combine a caption with the graphic, the graphic dialog box commands are all greyed out.

Where is Insert TextFrame in a menu? What are the actual names in the menu that we all see? And from which menu?

You are describing something that we can’t see so we need clear and consistent terminology.

The changes in names previously made me think you were doing something else, e.g. I said alter corner handle to size proportionally and you replied that altering side handle didn’t keep the ratio (which it wouldn’t).

I’m not exactly fond of LibO’s UI, in specific I’m discontent cocerning the frequent changes not helping much to enhance consistency. But now I’m glad to have an opportunity to ask somebody knowing “all the rules for a GUI” how they are.

2 Likes

Resize image with caption:
Caption&FrameResize

Open Image dialogue for graphic inside captioned frame:

1. Deselect DeselectCaptionFrame
  2. Right-click on image