How to remove header and footer for the first 2 page?

I followed all online tutorial and non work as I expected.

I was able to remove header and footer for the first 2 pages but on the third page when adding a header, the first page will also automatically add a header.

Why adding a header on the third page will also add a header on the first page??
I had set the first page as “First page” and the third page as “Default…”.

Is this a bug?
i’m using the latest version downloaded yesterday.

General remark first: when posting here, always mention OS name, LO version and save format. Please do it by editing your question (= modify it; don’t use a comment).

Just like you can structure your text into paragraphs by separating them with Enter, Writer allows you to structure your book/document into several “parts” with different page geometries and properties. Your document is then a sequence of similar pages separated by special page breaks.

The properties of the pages (header and footer are such properties) are defined by page styles: margins, kind of numbering, presence of footer/header, number of columns, geometry of footnotes, … You must create them before using them or customise a built-in one to fit your needs.

When you have your page styles, you can “slice” your document by adding the special page breaks with Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break. In the dialog you can choose which page style to activate after the break and optionally the new starting page number. This special page break creates a boundary which isolates the pages. Then the pages before and after the break can have diferent header or footer.

2 Likes

Please add links to the tutorials that you consulted.

The problem you are running into is based on Style Inheritance and the fact that you are using the predefined “First Page” and “Default Page Style” page styles.

“First Page” inherits the “Header” and “Footer” settings of the “Default Page Style”.

Here is a limited description for a solution based on creating your own page styles:

Create a page style called “_Frontage” that doesn’t inherit its attributes from any other style. Leave the Header and Footer settings turned off.

Create a second page style called “_Body” that doesn’t inherit its attributes from any other style. Turn the Header and Footer settings on.

After creating the first two pages using the “_Frontage” page style, go to Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break… Choose “Page break”. For Page Style, choose “_Body”. If you want to set the third page to number as Page 1, check “Change page number” and set this to “1”.

I hope this brief description provides enough information to solve your problem.

Hmm… tdf#41316 tells us that pages don’t yet support inheritance. Are you writing from a Star Trek future? :wink:

1 Like

Since page styles don’t presently inherit, the behaviour likely results from a lack of a needed “special” page break to switch to another page style. I’d bet that all pages are under the same page style (the one last applied, no matter the target page as there is no “page sequence boundary”.