How to speed up Libre Office calc opening?

Takes up to 5 minutes to open first time round but it is faster having been opened and then closed
I have not found anyway in which I can increase the memory - the option is not available from tools option.

We don’t know your version and OS Menu/Help/About.

But there were some issues when there are files on the history files, that are in a location not available at opening LO, like in a net driver.

OS Mint Cinnamon Ulyssa
Tried going to “Menu selection Tools - Options … Expand the top branch,+LibreOffice, and select General Tick the box to preload the LibreOffice quickstarter. OK”
However there is no “quick starter” option here on my version of Libre Office
Maybe this is a challenge caused by Ulyssa?

As per the release notes of LO 5.4 (which went End-of-Life in June 2018):

The Linux Quickstarter is deprecated and will be removed in the next release

Module libreoffice-systray (=Quickstarter) was still present in LibreOffice 6.0.7-0 in ubuntu 18.04.10

… but was removed in 6.1.

“Takes up to 5 minutes”

5 minutes is a horrible opening time for an average size document.
Is this the time of the launching the software with an empty, brand new document? Or you tried to open a huge document?

Tips:

• Maybe that large document contais some errors, broken links, lots of huge pictures, etc… Or it has a foreign file format…
  • Maybe your computer (the processor or the HDD) is too slow or maybe there are running too many background processes.
  • Maybe your computer has a small system memory.
  • Maybe you have not enough place for the virtual memory on the HDD/SSD.

As @Zizi64 says, 5 minutes to open an app first time is very long. Even for opening a large document, this is unusually long time. The tips from Zizi64’s answer outline the most likely causes.

That aside, to get the same startup time first and second time, it may help to preload the suite. Note that this reserves resources and may cause other apps to slow down or otherwise display lesser performance.

• Menu selection Tools - Options ...
  • If you are using MacOS, the “options dialog” is the Preferences selection from the app menu

The “app menu” is under the first menu heading after the apple, named Writer, Calc, Impress etc. according to which app you are using.
  • Expand the top branch,+LibreOffice, and select General
  • Tick the box to preload the LibreOffice quickstarter. OK

Yes “That aside, to get the same startup time first and second time” is an option I do sometimes use as a work around; but who likes “work arounds”?

“Module libreoffice-systray (=Quickstarter) was still present in LibreOffice 6.0.7-0 in ubuntu 18.04.10”.
My OS is Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa which maybe explains the absence of this functionality.