How to stop Navigator double jumps

Yesterday I upgraded from LO 6.1.6 to LO 7.1.6. I’ve found a difference in how Writer’s Navigator panel behaves between these two versions.

In the old version, when I double-clicked a Navigator item, the file view skips down to that section and it did that for any nav item in the doc. That’s the behavior I want. In the new version, it only works that way for some nav items. A few of them jump to the section in the file AND then the Navigator panel jumps down into the tables section. I believe that is because that header3 item is in a table cell. I’d like to turn off jumps to tables in the navigator.

I have a small sample file to illustrate. (10.4 KB)

No problem with me (version 7.0.6.2).

Do you mean the navigator did not jump to the tables section?

Same behaviour as you (navigator selection jumps to table section).

Here: LO 7.1.6.2.0+, Fedora 34, KDE Plasma desktop

IMHO, if you intend to generate a TOC, avoid placing Heading n outside the main flow, i.e. in frames and tables. Heading n in frames are known to be listed in wrong order in the TOC (because frames are scanned separately from the main flow). I had no time to check this with tables, but it is very likely to occur.

In Writer you have a main text flow which structures and organizes your document. Tables and frames are side “annotations” bringing additional information to the main thread of ideas. They can be referenced from the main discourse but are not logically linked to it (the same as they can be positioned anywhere in the page, far from their anchor).

Do you want this?

Screenshot_ 2021-10-28 06 52 42

Version: 7.1.6.2 (x86) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0e133318fcee89abacd6a7d077e292f1145735c3
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (de_DE); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

1 Like

Additional tip: select a Headings entry before clicking on the button to “lock” the headings category

Perfect! Thank you