How to type x prime and subscript?

Is this possible in libreoffice?

I tried nospace{x ' sub{1} }
and got this

And this nospace{x binom{'}{1} }
gives

Use the standard “operators” for subscript and superscript otherwise you get a sequence of unrelated “objects”. The correct way of suffixing both “decorations” is:

x^'_1

^ (circumflex) is the superscript operator and _ (underscore) the subscript operator.

PS: when asking here, always mention OS name, LO version and save format.

EDIT
The problem is the implicit superscript shrinkage of the exponent. It is set by default to 60%. Unfortunately you can’t alter superscript separately from subscript: both are controlled by the Indexes parameter. Consequently “prime” must not be applied with the superscript operator.

Unicode provide a specific glyph U+2032 PRIME.

I assume your prime means “derivative”. If so, I suggest to switch the order of the “decorations” as x_1′, i.e. derivation is applied to function x1. The prime sign is slightly offset to the right and IMHO this makes more sense than first derivative of x, itself subscripted with 1 (unless you mean some value of the first derivative of x). With prime and subscript not exactly in the same position, the exact significance is made more explicit.

In the formula x_1′, PRIME is entered as “2032” (without quotes) followed by Alt+X.

Thank you for your reply,
this is still not what I’m looking for
the prime sign looks very small and is too high.

LibreOffice 7.6.4.1 Kubuntu 22.04 .odf

Adjusting your last suggestion from your question posting gives something useable. Not perfect, but closer than some other attempts. You were almost there. Just shrink the “binom” part:

nospace{x size *0.4 binom{'}{1}}

If you like something a little more convoluted, this one may look a tad better:

nospace{x size *0.4 binom{acute {phantom "-"}}{1}}

Try them both, and play around with the resize factor, but I think it must be somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5

I get a bigger prime glyph with

nospace{x size *0.4 binom{size *2 ′}{1}}

Once again, I used U+2032 PRIME, not U+0027 APOSTROPHE.
However, I can’t tune subscript position how I’d like.

1 Like

Good points, and yes I agree, the “tuning scope” is limited, sometimes annoyingly so. One needs to hit a balance somewhere.

I ended up using

x^{ font fixed size*1.2{,}}_1

which is not as sparse

2 Likes

Simple indeed, but are you really using a comma?

Nice! Good choice.

Yes he is. Not that I didn’t believe Jan, but I had to try. Renders the same in Windows as the image shows (which I also didn’t doubt, but had to try anyway). The monospace fonts’ comma seems to have a less curled shape than what we usually see, so it gives a reasonable representation of the prime character ′. The comma’s baseline/descender position puts it where it needs to be, which proved difficult when using a proper prime character (or the apostrophe which is commonly used instead).

Good thinking, @janchrzan ! Now select your own comment as the solution, so the question is marked as solved.