How to update to Libre Office 7.3.6 with downloaded tar.gz file?

Especially since the new Libre Office forum lost all previous posts and my previous identity, and I can’t search the old posts, I can’t find what should be an existing answer.

I was not able to automatically install the upgrade. So I downloaded and extracted the folder LibreOffice_7.3.6.2_Linux_x86-64_rpm , opened it, and clicked on the “Install” file. I got the message shown at this Imgur link: Libre Office Upgrade Failure`

What went wrong? What kind of incorrect characters would be in an install file? Will automatic program upgrades ever, ever work again? Please help!

No, not enough data.
You should start with your system. (You may have told it 10 years ago, but as you told us: This information is not available).
So add distribution, version, desktop and also how your LibreOffice was installed.
Eg, Linux Mint 20.04, xfce, LO 7.2.3 from Flatpak.
Then: What was the problem, with automatic updates? Error message ?
Usually these updates come through some Software-center as frontend for apt, rpm, zipper theese days. And thus is maintained by your unknown distribution, not by TDF/LibreOffice. So the task is to find out, if you receive any updates. Then, if your maintainer keeps slower steps.
On characters: There may just be a misunderstanding. Your Editor may assume any characters out of the old asciii-table (7/8 bit) are not allowed, while we now have unicode and most programs use unicode. Can you set the editor to work with utf-8? (There is a dropdown in the orange bar!) The editor can’t know, what charset is used. There is simply no standard for this…

Don’t. In your case clicking on it loaded it into an editor (which apparently doesn’t understand UTF-8 text encoding apart from that AFAIK the file doesn’t even contain non-ASCII characters). It is meant to be executed manually from the terminal console and takes at least two arguments as indicated in USAGE.

Anyway, following the download page’s How do I install LibreOffice? via GNU/Linux to Detailed information is available on the wiki and there Installation of LibreOffice on GNU/Linux systems should provide you with the necessary details.

However, given that you stumbled into that, you should probably rather use your distribution’s (whatever that might be) packages to keep your LibreOffice up-to-date.

1 Like