How to wrap multiple line in writer

Hello,
I’m trying to know if it’s possible to wrap and un-wrap multiple lines in writer to hide some text on demand. In my case I’m trying to hide multiple lines from a table, as I’m using it to keep notes for a game but some text isn’t always needed so I’d like to hide it when able.

Edit: The text should be visible if printed as it’s important information, so comments are not viable. The document is subdivised into multiple part using tables (a table for skills, a table for equipment, etc.) and sometimes tables grow so big that they take multiple pages, so hiding them would be appreciated.

Sorry if my English isn’t perfect, it isn’t my first language.

Workaround 1
To “hide” text, you can also use custom paragraph or character styles in which you set the font to white.

Workaround 2
You can also insert areas in Writer that you can hide.

Workaround 3
Outline folding mode

1 Like

The first one doesn’t work as the background has a texture, but the third one :astonished: that’s exactly what I wanted. I think I’ll use it, thanks a lot :heart:, just need to change the layout of the document a bit.

1 Like

Instead of setting the color to White, you can also tick Hidden to hide the text. (Doing that in a paragraph style will hide or show all text with that style, so redrawing the document may take some time every time you change between hidden and visible.)

1 Like

If this text is a personal annotation not intended to be ever printed, use comments. Comments are created with Insert>Comment.

In case this is not what you need, edit your question to improve it by providing more details about this “text”: is it personal notes? is it useful to readers? Then is it primary or secondary information?

How is your document generally laid out?

Sadly comments don’t work as we sometime print the document, when we want to play around a table.

Thanks for the help, this is my first time using the site, so I don’t really know what informations I should provide, I can send a version of the document if you want to see exactly how it is :slightly_smiling_face: .

Comments are under control of the print dialog. By default, they don’t print. Printing them requires manual action. So, this might be the simplest way to achieve what you’re looking for.

1 Like

I didn’t know comments could be printed! Thanks for the information. It does pretty much what I wanted (show and hide them with just a click), sadly the comment column is too narrow resulting in more lines and less readability, and it seems like there are no way to widden it :slightly_frowning_face:. Do you know of any other method ?

Comments are made for relatively short annotations. This is why the area is quite narrow.

There is a more complicated way based on hidden paragraphs and variable value. To succeed, you must master paragraph and character styles. In addition, Writer must be configured to display hidden text and paragraphs (they won’t print anyway but will show up on screen). But pagination on screen is no longer what it would be in print. And it is no longer a one-click toggle between visible (i.e. does print) and hidden (doesn’t print). Consequently, if you’re a newbie I prefer not to describe this solution. Practice styling first.

1 Like

That seems a bit too complex for me, thanks for the help though :slight_smile:

Text may also be hidden using conditional paragraphs and conditional sections, when combined with a single user variable. Set that variable to some value and these objects are hidden. Unset the value and the objects are visible again.
This scheme is very useful every time you need a double-usage document: a teacher version and a student version, both in one.

Thanks for the tip, but conditional paragraphs seems a bit too advanced for me ^^ (I tried a bit but couldn’t make it work :smile: )