HSQLDB vs Firebird, redux

I see that LO 7.6 release notes actually include work on BASE, oh frabjous day, and most of that work is Firevbird bugfixes. Given that the thread I quoted from is 6 years old, I’d be very interested in the state of the comparison. For small hobby/home DBs, how do the 2 stack up (both internal) currently, pros and cons?

Embedded databases are evil. Sooner or later they will collapse on you. Embedded DBs are useful for demos and tutorials in one file.
Start with HSQL and when the backend (tables, indices, relations) is done, you should extract the database from the document and use it as a stand-alone database. Optionally, you can upgrade the driver version if you are missing some functionality.

1 Like

Thanks. I actually did have an embedded HSQLDB collapse on me not too long ago. Happily, I had 85%+ of the data stored in ods files, so rebuilding it was not too painful. Now that it’s up & running, how do I extract the database from the file?

Have you ever considered daily backups for all your data? Collecting data without backup strategy is a no go.

[Python] Macro to extract and reconnect embedded HSQLDB

1 Like

I don’t enter data every day, but since the rebuild, do have automatic backups enabled, to a different external drive. I also periodically upload a copy of the odb to my Proton Drive. Any future collapse would be much less grievous than the last.

Well, then try my little Python script and free the HSQLDB. The latest driver able to convert HSQL 1.8 is HSQL 2.4.3. From that version you may proceed to later versions. I stick to 2.4.3 which does everything I need.

1 Like

Thanks again! I will give it a go. As it is just a hobby DB, there will be no disastrous consuences if I mess up, and whatever happens, I will have learned a lot, which is a major reason for the whole exercise anyway