Hyperlinks with relative path not working after moving files including this links (not linked files)

I have a lot of .oft files with lots of hyperlinks. I use relative paths since it enables me to copy/move my files (both linked files and files with hyperlinks) and keep hyperlinks working. I understand that it is necessary to preserve the structure of folders and subfolders where linked files are stored (at least at the end), otherwise, the hyperlinks in copied/moved files don´t work anymore. For example:

USB Drive:
file:///M:/LL/LL/HH.odt

OneDrive:
file:///C:/Users/nnn/OneDrivemmm/LL/LL/HH.odt

I was able to copy files from my USB Drive into my OneDrive and despite the fact that the beginning of the path differs, the hyperlinks are clickable on OneDrive (and they refer to OneDrive files, not to the original files from my USB Drive). So far so good.

I though it´s perfectly OK to move the files WITH HYPERLINKS (not linked files) to another folder within OneDrive or within USB Drive without breaking the hyperlinks. It´s apparently no the case. If I have for example a file stored in folder

C:/Users/nnn/OneDrivemmm/FF/FF/GG/XX

and hyperlink contained in this file includes this path

file:///C:/Users/nnn/OneDrivemmm/FF/FF/YY/RR/KK .

If I copy this file f. e. into

C:/Users/nnn/OneDrivemmm/FF/FF

the hyperlink changes into

file:///C:/Users/nnn/OneDrivemmm/YY/RR/KK

and this hyperlink isn´t clickable: but it is not surprising since “/FF/FF” is missing.

But why is it missing and how can it be prevented? I understand that relative path changes - but why does it change in the way that it cannot be clickable? It´s possible to add this missing part of path manually -but it would be really annoying with hunderts or thousands of hyperlink. (Surprisingly, hyperlinks work in some moved files -and not in others. In both cases, the structure of folders and subfolders where the file containing hyperlinks is stored differs from the original structure.)

Thank you for your eventually help!

or not :slight_smile:

okay, first:

and if you’re a bit fluent with xml, check your .odt files how your URL are actually stored; in content.xml.

Thank you for your help. How can I check in content.xml how my URL are actually stored? In the attachment to this post, there is the transcription of content.xml of one experimentally created .odt files that faces the problem I described.
content.odt (35.6 KB)

“Research the problem online first to avoid duplication; attempt to solve the problem before asking, and explain what efforts you have made, isolate the problem as much as possible”: I have made.