I can't move the first LO window that opens.

Latest Windows 10 (2004 build 19041.746). LO 7.1.0.3

I click on the main LO icon in the task bar. I choose a file from the Recents shown. It opens the file, but the top bar of the window doesn’t show the close/minimize/etc choices. It is stuck to the top of the monitor display, and I can’t minimize or resize it at all. The only thing I can do is close it with ^W – when I do that, the Recent files window is there with the same problem. I press ^W, that window disappears, and I’m back to square one.

This also happens if I start with the icon I have for Writer or Calc.

This only happens with LO, so it doesn’t seem like a Win10 issue.

Any insights will be appreciated.

As a workaround, try with Windows+arrows or Alt+Space bar and R.

Thanks for your responses. Using the keyboard to move the window worked: alt-space, then choose Move, then use the arrow keys to move it down (or, any direction).

When you click the general LO icon on the taskbar, the Recents view opens in a window with a document icon and “LibreOffice” at the top, as below. These were hidden, above the monitor’s top edge. So apparently I dragged it too high at some point, and it remembered where it thought I wanted it to open next time.

Now, after moving the Recents window with alt-space/Move/arrows, now the Recents view opens lower on the monitor, where I had positioned it, with the whole top of the window in view (as below). Since it remembers its position on the monitor, all I have to do is remember not to drag it so far up. And if I happen to do it again, I know how to fix it.

image description

In this case, you can press Windows+Up Arrow or Alt+Space bar and X to maximize the window.

A Windows Update came out today involving Net Framework. Sometimes strange stuff happens after update has installed but computer not restarted. Try Restarting your system first.

I haven’t installed 7.1.0.3 but I would try opening LO in Safe Mode, Start menu > LibreOffice 7.1 > LibreOffice (Safe Mode). Does the problem appear in safe mode? If not, you could try turning off Skia (Tools > Options > View** and untick the box that says Use Skia for all rendering. See if problem is solved.

If that doesn’t work you could try resetting your user profile.

It might be best to backup user folder so close LO.

In File Explorer (Win+E), in the View tab, tick the box Hidden items.

Navigate to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4 right-click and drag the folder user to a blank space just below and release, click the context menu Copy here and it will create a copy of the user folder in case things go sour. Leave folder open for now

Reopen LO in Safe mode and tick the box Restore from backup > Restore user configuration to the last known working state and press button Apply changes and Restart. If it all works the carry on with using LO like everybody else.

If not then try the button Reset to factory settings > Reset settings and user interface modifications. This should fix most issues. If not the Reset entire user profile will reset everything back to factory settings.

If you did select the entire user profile option then all your autocorrect and templates will have gone. This is why we saved a copy. A new user folder will be created. Drag your data folders back into the new user folder: Autocorrect, Autotext, backup, template, wordbook.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Al

This might be a Windows issue. Try this:

Move an Application Window From Off-screen Back to Your Main Desktop - Windows

Occasionally, Microsoft Windows thinks you have a second desktop/monitor when you don’t. Or, you do have a second desktop/monitor but it is currently not working or can’t be turned on. The technique below allows you to bring a window from the “invisible” desktop back to your main desktop.

1. Right-click on the Windows taskbar and select Cascade windows from the pop-up menu.
  2. Hold down the Shift key, then right-click on the appropriate application icon in the Windows taskbar.
  3. On the resulting pop-up, select the Move option.
  4. Begin pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the invisible window from off-screen to on-screen. Typically, you will use the left arrow to move the window from right to left.

I googled this problem and wasn’t satisfied with the advice. I hope you don’t mind me adding this above advice.
(-;