I don't understand what's happening [unsaved document to be restored]

I’ve been using an old version of Libre Office on a Windows 10 laptop for several years and for the most part haven’t had any issues.

On a new Windows 11 laptop I downloaded the 7.4.2.3. version. I had an unsaved document I had been working on for some days which needed to be restored after the windows updated itself and restarted my system. I thought everything would be fine, just like always the document would restore to the last autosaved point. I was given the option to restore however there was absolutely nothing in the document, everything was gone and I noticed there is a ‘(remote)’ on the file (idk if it was there before and I don’t really understand what it means). I can’t find the libre office in roaming to try to access the back up folder and when I try to create a new document nothing happens. No additional writer documents can be created. I also can’t find how to change the back up/autosave features in this version (or on this laptop). Does anyone have any idea what going on and how I can get back my document please?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Save early, save often. By this I mean Save As to a known location and give it a name related to the document, after that press Ctrl+S every time you stop to think.

If the document is important or long consider doingFile - Save a Copy with the same name but date suffix YYYY-MM-DD. This gives you backups that you can revert to in a similar case or of you decide that you lost direction in your document and you want to restart from an earlier point.

See Preventing data disaster - The Document Foundation Wiki

I also suggest to close everything and shut down the computer every night, you won’t get nasty surprises and you will do your bit for the environment.

If there is a temporary file it would be in the folder defined in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Paths, probably C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp. It would be in a folder named luxxxxxxxxx.tmp. Copy the largest file to Documents folder and open it from LO by File > Open

The settings for backup copy and auto recovery are in Tools > Options > Load/Save > General and rely on the paths set in previous paragraph.
Cheers, Al

3 Likes

I know…I was so used to never really having a problem I got lazy.

Unfortunately there isn’t but thank you.

Do you have any idea why the documents would come up as remote? Or why it’s not possible to open any additional blank documents?

1. Have you clicked Start menu > Power > Restart to restart your computer? If not, then try creating a new document in LibreOffice.
  2. If LibreOffice still can’t create a new document then try Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, find LibreOffice, right click and select Repair
  3. Check out this page, General Installation Issues (Windows) - The Document Foundation Wiki
    • Make sure that LibreOffice can write to disk, it might not have been able to do so. If you have Windows Defender as your antivirus have a look at this page, Defender Controlled folder access exception for LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki .
      To add a program to the allowed list “simply” click Start menu > Settings > Privacy and Security > Windows Security > Virus and threat protection > Manage ransomware protection > Allow an app through Controlled folder access > [click Yes to User access control dialogue] > Add an allowed app > Recently blocked apps and click the + next to soffice.bin
    • If you use another antivirus, you might have to add soffice.bin to an allowed list of programs.
2 Likes

I have the same concern. Thank you Daesie for creating this thread first!

Whenever I recover files and click finish in the “Document Recovery” prompt, attempting to save the day (Yes I know, I KNOW! This is after me being all sloppy and irresponsible by not saving my documents enough, save the lectures please. It happens O.K.?), for the past few months it fails to do much good. Instead of recovering my documents what seemed about 80% as it did before, it recently only “recovers” (or there lack of) completely blank documents–only succeeding in kicking me while I’m down after losing my work from before.

The strangest part is how it says (remote) at the top in the title bar after “Untitled [x]” though! I see no setting that refers to this “remote recovery” concept, and I don’t believe it read that back in the days of this recovery service actually being of some purpose.

I’ve reinstalled LibreOffice since these symptoms have started, and please again, save the lectures. I know I have to save more often. This is more regarding a handy service that helps me recover documents after I am already irresponsible time-to-time and just hoping that I’ll recover at least SOMETHING from before due to my system crashing or whatever.

Of course, soon after I made this post, I realized I needed to check some boxes in the load/save --> general settings. I don’t remember turning these off given, so this might be an issue for other users too? Either way, I have now checked both:

[X] Save AutoRecovery information every: [3] minutes (why have a longer time, I’m not really too sure…)

[X] Always create backup copy

I’m assuming this will solve this problem. The remote thing still puzzles me though!

No lecture, but an additional hint: Re-installing keeps your user-profile. So, if your problem persitsts, try renaming your old profile (so you can rescue files from there, if necessary).