I have a Form Database and a Spreadsheet that I want to communicate with each other.

My Database form is to keep track of samples loaned out to customers. I have a field for the Barcode, Name and Supplier. Plus extra fields.

My Spreadsheet has fields for Barcode, Name and Supplier.

I want to use the database form to put in the Barcode and have it get from the spreadsheet the Name and Supplier and automatically put into the fields in the database.

This to be repeated up to 8 times depending how many samples are being loaned out.

I have tired to find this in your excellent help, but to no avail. I hope you can tell me how to do this.
Thanks
Judi Archer

Hello,

There is no existing process to automatically retrieve data from a Calc sheet to a Database using a Base form. This may be possible by using macros but requires knowledge of macro programming.

It is not clear why the spreadsheet is necessary.

Thanks for your comment. The Form is to be used by staff to enter the barcode only and the spreadsheet look up and find the matching barcode with its additional details from the 2,000 odd samples entered into the Spreadsheet and automatically enter the details into the matching form fields. (Saving time reading and typing in the Name and Supplier. The form is then printed off and given to the customer so they know the details of the fabric.

If I can do this within a Base file instead of using the spreadsheet file that would be great.

Regardless of use, if you are looking to enter data from a spreadsheet into a Base database (or retrieve data from a spreadsheet into Base), it will require macro coding.

As for Name & Supplier, that is probably little more than a table link in Base.

Just got last comment after typing mine. If that is all the spreadsheet is used for, then why not convert that list into a table in Base and link samples to that. There is no limitations as to the amount of samples linked. Base and databases are all about prep work. What are the goals then how to get there. Not something to be done in an afternoon.

For convenience, here is the link to the Base documentation → LibreOffice Base Handbook. Lower on that page is also a tutorial on relational databases.

Thank you again. You are a great help to my problem, much appreciated. I will go and have a read.

I have my two base files now. Thanks that was very helpful. Only problem now is I don’t know how to link them. Any help on this would be really great. Thanks

@CurtainStore

This is all covered in the documentation (link provided above). This is the basics of relational databases. A lot has to do with the system you are putting together (all the details), the tables you have and yet need to design, and what output you are expecting.

This forum is designed to ask a question and get a response. Further questions are hidden from others searching for answers. The step by step process of putting together a working system (this beside all the back & forth questions on design possibilities) is too large for typical forums.

If you have a specific question, please ask as a new question but include all details possible. For more on this, please see this post → Guidelines for asking.