I have a word document that I want to open as such, but it defaults to 'draw'

I have a word document that I want to open as such, but it defaults to ‘draw’, this is very frustrating! Can I delete draw? Or how can I get this word document to open correctly? I even resaved it as filename.doc, but that doesn’t help in the least. I’ve opened writer and tried to open this doc and LibreOffice just ignores me, and does as IT pleases, and does not please me.

The LibreOffice is a really INTEGRATED office suite. There is not standalone application for the Draw. It is same software as the Writer or the Calc is, but with different settings and options. You can not delete the Draw application separatelly.

The root of the problem is located your document file. Please upload your ODF type sample file here.

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately I can’t upload it. I was so frustrated, that I ended up deleting the file. I’m traveling at the moment, I figured that I would retry from the original that’s on my desktop.

It was (is) a document that was originally created and saved in MS Word. It had images and links to those websites, I had no issues opening it with Open Office or with MS Word.

Fortunately for me, for some inexplicable reason, I also saved them as PDF files, and was able to access the sites in that manner. Regardless, it seems to me if I wish to open a document in a particular manner, I should be able to do so, and not be force to do as the platform desires. As frustrating as Open Office was, I didn’t have this problem there.

Another challenge that I experience with LO that I didn’t with MS or OO, is embedding images in a document. Usually with the image in one column, and text in the other. LO fights me tooth and nail when I try to do this . . . regardless of which option I choose, ‘To Character’, ‘As Character’ or ‘To Paragraph’ or whatever it is. I’ve had a long day, and it’s time for me to hit the sack.

Regardless, Thank You VERY much for replying to me, I really do appreciate it. I do apologize, I am frustrated and tired, and am, nor was, in any mood to fight an uncooperative computer system.

Respectfully yours,

Brian R. Termunde
Murray, Utah

Hmm. The file opens normally in OO and Word but this particular file was a copy, possibly not tested on OO or Word. I wonder if it is on a USB drive that was removed before all the cache was written to the drive?

LO doesn’t use file extensions to decide which component (Writer, Calc, …) will handle the file. The OS uses file extension (and its association list) to launch an application. In case of LO, it all ends up in a single soffice.exe executable. LO then scans the beginning of the file to determine the contents and hand over to the specific component.

You say you have a copy of the file in PDF format. If its extension was changed from .pdf to .odt, LO will scan it the same and discover it is PDF. Draw will be launched as it is the only component able to managed (in a limited way) such file as a graphics one.

Regarding the image position issue, ask a question in its own. It deserves a detailed description of what you initially did in Word and how it is understood by Writer. You’re bumping into one of the many compatibility problems between two suites based on different principles. When loading M$ files, LO must translate the missing features into ones it implements. Word has no notion of frame styles (containers for images) and this results in individually placed objects which become hard to fix.

Does a fresh install of LO on Windows take over the default application role for PDF files? This would be wrong. By default PDF should be opened by some PDF viewer unless you choose LO explicitly.

@Villeroy: no real experience on Windows, but OS’s don’t scan file contents to launch an app. They use file extension. If extension is .pdf, then a PDF Viewer is run as expected.
But if extension is changed from .pdf to .odt, LO will be run and discover the file is in fact PDF and Draw will handle it.
OP said he also saved the file as PDF. He might accidentally have copied back this backup as .odt or .doc(x) and this would explain the strange behaviour.

1 Like

When you install LO on WIndows it will register LO as default application for the ODF file types and lets you decide which MSO files should be registered as well. I was wondering if LO registers Draw as default application for PDF.
@X18South,
Please install some PDF viewer (not necessarily the Adobe monster) and see if it opens the same file that is opened with LO Draw which would clearly identify your file as a PDF. Assign PDF files to your PDF viewer and let your WIndows Explorer display the file name extensions. See also Microsoft Hijacked LibreOffice! - #3 by Villeroy (different context, same problem).