I have been advised that LibreOffice 4.2 can open Clarisworks files, is this true?

I have a number of old Clarisworks/Appleworks files from an iMAC 5.6 OS which I would like to be able to read on Windows 7 Can these be converted?

Duplicate of this question.

Yes, LibreOffice can read (but not write) ClarisWorks/AppleWorks documents from version 4.1 onwards. Do note though that there may be bugs as the file format is very old. I also advise you to save the documents as ODT or another appropriate ODF format to ensure that they can be opened in the future too.

Related links:

Is there another Office Suite which covers more formats then LibO??? Thanks for the wikipedia link @Nicd

Hello,
to be a little more precise:

• LibreOffice 4.1 will try to convert word processing/drawing/painting documents with various degrees of accuracy,
  • LibreOffice 4.2 will probably give better results if the documents are complex or concerning drawing/painting documents.

Notes:

• if you have simple database/spreadsheet files, you can also try to download the beta version of LibreOffice 4.3, maybe this will suffice,
  • some year ago, a version of AppleWorks was also sold on Windows ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleWorks ), so if you success to buy a working version, this may be another solution…