I install Java but Libreoffice keeps asking for it

I click “solver” and get the message

LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart LibreOffice

Simultaneously, I get another popup saying

To use the "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK.
Click "More Info..." to visit the Java Developer Kit download website.

So I click “More info” and it takes me to the java website http://www.java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp and I click install. Afterwards, I click on the “OK” button of the LibreOffice requires Java message and LibreOffice crashes. I assume this is so I don’t have to restart LibreOffice manually.

I then click “solver” and get the same message again. I’ve also restarted my computer to no effect.

Any ideas?

(Mac OS X 10.11.2, LibreOffice version: 5.0.3.2, Build ID: e5f16313668ac592c1bfb310f4390624e3dbfb75, Locale: en-US (en.UTF-8))

Ok, in the moderation queue now for 29 hours, so I’ve used python instead. If this ever gets out of moderation (I guess the moderators are busy) I’d be interested to know what the fix is.

Thankfully this question is finally out of moderation but it’s had no views since I posted it many days ago, so I will give up, and just comment to say that Apple seems to have changed something for Java in El Capitan, and this messes up a lot of software, including LibreOffice. On the bright side, it forced me to learn the great power of scipy.optimize in python, and I will be using this for future projects too.

@paul how did you solve this problem?

It’s possible you need Apple’s Legacy Java installed.

You can find it here: Download Java for OS X 2017-001

It’s version 6 and it require for certain Java applications on Mac.

I’ve got both version 6 and 8 installed so don’t know which my copy of LO is using!

I installed the Legacy Java in the link… Didn’t help :frowning: