i want to stop writer using full screen when loaded

writer cheeses me off when it takes the entire screen because I cannot use the minimise button

it never used to do this and changed for some reason

It’s not the minimize button that you want. It is the middle button between Minimize (_) and Close (X) that controls whether the program is displayed as full-screen or something less than full-screen. If Writer opens now as full-screen it is probably because at some time you exited the program in full-screen mode. That setting is saved on exit.

Try Alt + Space to access window options.

Does this happens to any LibreOffice document or just for Writer’s documents?

This has suddenly started happening to all LibreOffice applications: they all open maximised and I can’t find a way to stop it. If I resize the window to smaller and then exit, it still restarts maximised. Is this a new feature, either of LibreOffice or of Linux (generally) or Gnome or Cinnamon (specifically; I’m running a new install of Mint 19 Cinnamon).

this is probably a DE issue, not Libreoffice.
I’m on Arch Linux w/ GNOME 3.32 and I do not have this issue

No its not DE issue, windows does the same thing. There is probably a setting, and I am looking for it to. Thing is its a really good program and people are doing a good job. Sometimes in our attempt t do better we think we ad things that simplify a process for others when we do not realize what the others are going to do. Never make decisions that users should be making for them selves. Give them a way to make those decisions and let them set them up per their choices so they are default, thats all.

For Windows 7 users: see /question/244424/.

Tested with LibreOffice 6.4.7.2 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.