IDEA: how to improve LibreOffice visual appearance?

I like LibreOffice and I’m using it :slight_smile: However, I would like to make some contribution to its visual appearance. While LO does not want to implement Ribbons, I figure out how to create simple solution with existing toolbars.

Idea is the following: all toolbars will have the same (fixed) position while above toolbar you can select which toolbar to use. In this case, menus are still kept while ribbons from Microsoft Office is not imitated. I find this even better solution than Ribbons.

Default way of appearing toolbars can disturb you. For example: you draw a line in Impress and Line and Formatting toolbar pop up or appear on toolbar line (in this case your content/ slide is moved or zoom out).

Please vote. If you like it, we can contact LibreOffice team to see how difficult is to implement this way of toolbar behavior?

Suggestions_for_improvement++, however I’m not sure this Q&A is the place to discuss your suggestion. Your example “you draw a line in Impress and Line and Formatting toolbar pop up or appear on toolbar line (in this case your content/ slide is moved or zoom out)” should be the start of thinking about changing LO’s visual appearance. Feature requests should be added to the bug tracker.

Ok thanks :slight_smile: in order to implement this idea, we need more support. You can support the idea here: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=80752

Default way of appearing toolbars can disturb you. For example: you draw a line in Impress and Line and Formatting toolbar pop up or appear on toolbar line (in this case your content/ slide is moved or zoom out).

This is a workaround to this particular issue. By placing the contextual toolbars at the bottom of the workspace (rather than the top), the document content is less prone to moving with cursor location / selection. It requires some initial clicking and dragging to achieve this, but it does significantly reduce this particular issue.