Import ODB table into spreadsheet, Data Range Refresh

For background see these, previously SOLVED / “answered” topics.

This is a two part question:

1. If I select a table in ODB, Edit / Copy and then select a cell in ODS and do Edit / Paste the table is properly inserted into my spreadsheet, the selected cell will be the top leftmost corner of the inserted table. Good. But when I click on that cell Data / refresh Range is grayed out.
  2. If I do Data / Define or Select Range there is nothing there. If I try to define the range of the just inserted table in point 1) above then I run into a naming error:
    Screenshot at 2024-01-12 05-33-10
    OK, with trial and error I can give it a name acceptable by LibreOffice, but why could not we show some info on what is the proper syntax? The Help button on the bottom left corner of this window does not give any guidance of what names can we give:

Even if I give the range an acceptable name the Data Refresh Range is still grayed out when I click on the top leftmost or on any cell within the defined range.

What is the proper way to do this operation?
jankom

[Tutorial] Using registered datasources in Calc

Yes, and my apologies. I totally forgot about the f4-drag method. My mind was totally absorbed with database connections and Open/Libre Office intricacies, trying to make my ODB-ODS system work again after some spreadsheet consolidation and improvements.

Thank you for the tutorial section, well written!

Just a wish list to developers:

• make the copy-paste method work the same way as the f4-drag, i.e. make the Refresh Range available even after copy-paste.
  • more importantly, tell the user why a defined range name is invalid, or better yet, be more tolerant with names.

jankom