Impress on Surface Pro 7 - Slides Will Not Advance

I bought a Windows Surface Pro 7 last month to use in presentations. When one tries to start a slide show the slides will not advance. I have the latest version 7.2.5.2 (64). The same problem happened on several earlier versions. I currently have Win 11 on the Surface Pro but the problem happened in WIN 10 also. I also have LibreOffice on my Win 10 desktop and Impress works perfectly there. I had to revert to OpenOffice in order to have an operable Impress.

What are you doing to advance to the next slide?

This happens with every presentation?
Has the presentation ever been saved as .ppt(x)?

Better try with version 7.1.8.

Leroy,

I only use the standard .odp format. I advance the slides, as I’ve successfully done on my other computers, using either the ENTER key, the RIGHT arrow key, the DOWN arrow key or the LEFT mouse button. It happens with every presentation on the Surface 7. The slides are just text and JPG images. I forgot to mention that Impress works on my old Surface 3 (even with the 7.2.5.2 version) using slide shows created on the 7. I even switched the keyboards between the 3 and 7 and it still doesn’t work. I tried version 7.1.8 (and at least one other early version) and no luck. Bizarre.

Leo Dougherty

1 Like

Does it work in safe mode (Help > Restart in safe mode > Continue in safe mode)?

Amazingly yes. In Windows 11 I clicked on the Windows Icon in the Task Bar. Then I chose “All apps”. Scrolled to LibreOffice and then selected the option to Open LibreOffice in Safe Mode.

Why it needs Safe Mode on the Surface 7, but not on my Surface 3 or Windows 10 desktop is odd.
Thanks,
Leo Dougherty

[EDIT] Try first going to Tools > Options > View and untick Use Skia for all rendering. Restart LibreOffice and see if it works OK. Otherwise see below:

It is an indication that there is some corruption in your user profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki.

I would close LibreOffice and copy your user profile to a backup location (in Windows File Explorer make sure View > Show > Hidden items is enabled), then use either the manual method or the wizard method to reset your user profile. You can try the wizard with the least destructive option first, Reset settings and user interface modifications, otherwise Reset entire user profile. You can copy back data folders such as templates, autocorrect, autotext, wordbook, etc. Don’t copy back config.

1 Like

Earnest,
Great. The Skia change worked. Thanks.
Leo Dougherty

1 Like