Impress presentation stops looping and gets killed by debian 12 due to out of memory error

I am running LibreOffice 7.4.7.2 Impress on Debian Linux 12 with a small presentation on loop (3 slides with a few pictures). I have added it to the startup process so it runs automatically, however even if I run it manually the result is the same. After about 30mins the process is killed by the system as it runs out of memory. “dmesg” shows this in the log:

Out of memory: Killed process 1499 (soffice,bin) total vm:8931528kb, anon-rss:3504525kb, file-rss:0kb, shmem-rss: 41072kb, UID:1000 pgtables:11520kb oom_score_adj:0

I have run this presentation on MX-Linux also and on two different machines, it has the same issue. It does not appear to be related to the distro or hardware. “dmesg” originally indicated that the out of memory was caused by the package “xdg-desktop-portal”, however uninstalling this and running it again reveals that the above is the actual cause.

Anyone got any ideas?

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?component=Impress&list_id=1770198&order=Importance&resolution=---&short_desc=memory&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr

1 Like

I have logged this issue on bugzilla, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

(might be a dup of tdf#156178)
if you can attach a sample file on yours, and maybe few snapshots of memory monitor showing the leak speed, that might help too.

I have attached some attachments, thanks for the tip: 162519 – SLIDESHOW - Looping Slideshow causes out of memory error