I have stumbled on this same problem, except that for me clicking on the layout icon didn’t work. Eventually I decided to bite the bullet, open up the ODP file (which is little more than a ZIP archive with a different extension) and look into the
content.xml file’s contents for a clue on what the problem was.
Since in my case the first slide was still showing in the Notes view (all others were gone), I located the XML tags for that slide and compared them to the other slides’ tags. At last I found that for the visible slide, the
<draw:page-thumbnail> tag had the following values:
<draw:page-thumbnail draw:style-name="gr1" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="12.304cm" svg:height="10.393cm" svg:x="4.347cm" svg:y="3.097cm" draw:page-number="1" presentation:class="page"/>
Whereas for the next slide the values were:
<draw:page-thumbnail draw:style-name="gr1" draw:layer="layout" svg:width="0.001cm" svg:height="0.001cm" svg:x="0.991cm" svg:y="3.098cm" draw:page-number="2" presentation:class="page"/>
Did you catch it? The values for
svg:height were all but zeroed.
From there I found two possible solutions to the problem:
- Open the ODP file in Ubuntu’s Archive Manager (or any archive manager that can update files within an open archive), open the included
content.xml file in a text editor (I had to resort to Okteta, because the file is essentially one looong line and Kate chokes on those), search/replace the bad attribute values, save and let the archive manager update the file;
- If you go to the Notes view, click inside the page and hit
Tab, a single green square will appear at the left border. This is the slide thumbnail – it is there after all, only set to a very, very small size. Once it’s highlighted you can select Format → Position and Size… in the main menu (it might be blanked out the first time around, so click on the page again, hit
Tab and try a second time), deselect the Protect → Size option and correct the thumbnail’s dimensions.
I still have no idea what causes this behavior. For me it happens all the time, even as little as creating a new slide with the first Master Page (meant for the cover slide) instead of the second is enough to trigger it.