Inconsistent footnote number

I have created a 3 chapter book with page numbers starting at 1 for each chapter. That works fine for all 3 chapters. Footnotes restart at 1 in chapter 2 as desired. However, chapter 3 insists on continuing footnote numbers from chapter 2. Please Help!

The first paragraphs of each chapter show Format> Paragraph> Outline Level: Level 1; and yet, Format>Section shows chapter 3 is a daughter of chapter 2. Is this the problem? How does one elevate a section’s level?

LibreOffice 5.2 and OSX 10.12

I don’t unserstand well your question, it looks like there are 3: page number, which is controlled by page style, chapter sectioning optimally handled with Heading x paragraph styles and footnote numbers.

To the best of my knowledge, footnotes, when autonumbered, are continuously numbered from start of book to end across all chapters. There is no such “restart at 1” in styles or Tools>Footnotes/Endnotes, you must manually set the note mark with all the drawbacks of this method.

I am trying to follow the Heading x process, and am missing something basic about chapter sectioning.
Each chapter in my book starts with the first paragraph in Heading 1 paragraph style. Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are set to outline level 1. Ch 1 and 2 function like level 1, no problem. However, Ch 3 functions like level 2; and Format> Section shows Ch 3 to be a daughter of Ch 2, even though Format> Paragraph> Outline Level shows it to be level 1.
Can someone explain what is going on?

Unless you inserted a section Format>Section is disabled. Do you mean the Navigator panel displayed by F5? In this case, there are 2 buttons to promote/demote a chapter (click it in the panel and then a button), but even if you demoted accidentally a chapter, its paragraph style would have been changed to Heading 2.

To make sure there are no unexpected item in your document structure, View>Nonprinting Characters

Thanks for your patient support.
Yes, I inserted a section called Ch03. The Navigator panel shows Ch03 as a daughter of Ch02, but both show as Level 1 in the Navigator panel and Format> Paragraph. Paragraph style for Heading 1 is also level 1.
View> Nonprinting Characters shows no nonprinting characters before the first paragraph with Heading 1.

Further exploration shows this may be similar to the problem called Inserting a section between two contiguous sections.

I think I got what you’re trying to set up.

In the following document (A6 format for small pages)

I created 3 sections containing a chapter title with style Heading 1 and one paragraph in Body Text. Each one contains a footnote (numbered 1 to 3) and the last one an endnote numbered i.

Settings for Footnotes/Endnotes are default in all sections.

If I change settings in section “Ch3” as:

• Footnotes: Collect at end of text and Restart numbering at 1
  • Endnotes: Collect at end of section and Restart numbering at 5

this is what I get:

Notes are now “local” to the section, but this is not nice looking.

There seems to be no way to simultaneously keep the footnote in the common area at the bottom of the page and reset numbering (because this option is enabled only if you collect the notes inside the section).

I think this is a design choice to avoid the risk of ending up with two or more identical note numbers in the same page and not knowing to which anchor a note refers.

I don’t consider this as an annoyance since LO will automatically renumber the notes when some are added or removed, unless you have specific company writing rules requiring that notes start from 1 in every chapter.

If your need is to reference the note number, the cross-reference feature in LO is versatile enough to fulfill practically all users goals. Just explain what you want to achieve.

Side question: Why do you associate a section with every chapter? If you just want to begin in a new page, modify Heading 1 paragraph style to force a page break (in Text Flow tab). Sections are really legitimate when you want to change temporally the number of columns with regard to the page style.

Note: in the Navigator, if you right-click on a heading or section and select Outline level, this only defines how many levels are displayed in the navigator window. This is a way to limit the amount of displayed information in complex documents.

Nested sections: In my last test, I created a section inside “Ch3”, resulting in “Ch3-1” being a “daughter” of “Ch3”:

Unfortunately, there is no way to move this section, either by dragging it in the Navigator or promoting/demoting it (the buttons are disabled). In this case, select all its content, copy it and paste it in a new section with the correct position in the hierarchy.

If this answer helped you, please accept it by clicking the check mark to the left and, karma permitting, upvote it. If this is what you expected, close the question, that will help other people with the same question.

ajlittoz, Thank you!! Now I get it. Side Q/A: I want a section associated with each chapter so each one can have its own header text. Your explanation helped me realize that inserting new sections between existing sections creates subsections that can never be promoted to level 1. This is the key element I did not understand. So, my solution is to create a new outline for my book, establish the chapters and sections, then copy text from my current version into the new outline.

ajlittoz, Thank you!! Now I get it. Side Q/A: I want a section associated with each chapter so each one can have its own header text. Your explanation helped me realize that inserting new sections between existing sections creates subsections that can never be promoted to level 1. This is the key element I did not understand. So, my solution is to create a new outline for my book, establish the chapters and sections, then copy text from my current version into the new outline.

Your support was most awesome! I checked the question as closed and have been unable to figure out how to up vote your response. This is my first venture with ask.LO. Please accept my sincere gratitude.

You’re welcome. You can upvote once you collect 3 karma points, which is now your case.

Headers are not a property of sections but of page styles. To give each chapter a different header, you need to create a page style per chapter, unless the header comes from Heading x (preferentially Heading 1) in which case a single page style will do with “field” insertion. And this is where “page break before” in Heading 1 comes into play.

By the way, you did not close the question, you accepted my answer (thanks). Closing the question is done by clicking the X under your question itself, before the initial comments.