Indents not being saved

For the sample I modified the style to have first line indent and saved it as ODT. It reopened with the indents. Then I saved it as docx and it did not reopen with the indents.
It worked before, then stopped working using the exact same document with different content and saved as a new file.

Then, as I asked before why can’t you upload the ODT file???

It didn’t let me upload both initially. Now I think it worked.

Don’t use the Automatic setting in the indents & spacing tab. Provide a value for the first line indent. It will be kept in the .docx.

To show the community your question has been answered, please tag the best answer (), and/or vote for any helpful answer.

You shouldn’t be using Default Paragraph as a style, that’s what Text Body is for.

In your sample, select all your text, open the sidebar (View > Sidebar or Ctrl+F5 once or twice until it appears), click on Styles icon, select Paragraph Styles (if not already selected, it is the leftmost icon above the pane), scroll down to Text Body, click the + next to it and double-click the First Line Indent style. All your text will get an indent that will carry through to .docx.

If the indent is not the size you want, right click on the style, select Modify. In the dialog that opens select the tab labelled Indents and Spacing and enter the amount of indent you want in the field labelled First line, click OK. All your text will change to the new indent size.

I already know how to use styles. Your instructions don’t actually match the app.
I only did that for the test. I normally create custom paragraph and page styles, but the issue persisted even then.

Do you confirm that providing a value for the indent fixed the issue?

Personally, I tend to avoid any ‘automatic’ feature, especially for formatting.