Inform contributors to a topic about editing of posts in that topic

One of the real advantages of the old Askbot site was that when the OP edits the original question, or when a user edits a comment or answer, all contributors were informed about it. Now, edits may remain unnoticed. And that’s bad when you edit an answer to add information to it, to keep all valuable information together. You still have to post a comment to point out that you edited an earlier message.

EDIT in response to @sophi:
I didn’t mean moderating bad language or the like. I mean adding or clarifying content. I don’t see why such edits would have to be hidden. When I ask a question or reply to one, I don’t want to have to visit that thread to see if any such changes were made. I want to get a message when existing posts are edited just as I get messages when new posts are added.

1 Like

There is a discussion here about the ability to see edits and their history, see

I would be for the solution proposed to make the edit history visible to all. I don’t see it as a problem for our community but I may be wrong. If you agree with that setting, I’ll ask Guilhem to change it.

That discussion seems to be about moderating a post because of bad language, trolling and so on. I mean something widely different and will add that to my OP.

I don’t know if all level users can do it, but I can click the pencil and see the last edit changes highlighted.

That’s because you’re TL4. With a thread open, I can see what posts have been edited. I’m not sure if I will only see that sign for posts that were edited since my last visit. But I don’t want to have to visit a thread to see if any such changes were made. I want to get a message when existing posts are edited just as I get messages when new posts are added.

1 Like