Ink annotations with pen while presenting in presenter mode

I am using PowerPoint while teaching several times a day and would love to switch to Impress. Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to annotated my slide while in presenter mode using a Pen/Mouse on my screen. I seem to only be able to do that outside of presenter mode. But I want to basically fill in gaps in my lectures while students see the slides in full screen. This is a basic feature for teachers/ faculty since the times of overhead slides and pens.

What am I missing or does this feature not exist?

Thanks!

In the Slide Show > Slide Show Settings menu, do you have a check mark next to “Mouse pointer as pen”?

Please specify to all inquiries:

operating system
LibreOffice version (four-digit, e.g. 7.4.5.1).
file type in which saved your file

Hi @Hrbrgr ,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. The issue is that this only works when mirroring your screen with the projector. You basically need to be in presenter mode but not show the presenter view on your screen.

If you are in presenter mode and the presenter screen is showing on your screen, you can write on your screen but it doesn’t show up anywhere until you move your mouse to the second screen (usually the projector). Then, all the annotations that you wrote (but didn’t see anywhere neither on the presenter screen you wrote on, nor on the presentation screen) will appear on both screens. I am wondering if that is actually a bug. I only found this “feature” on accident.

Below, I have two screen shots of the presenter screen (left) and the presentation screen (right). In both screenshots, I have scribbled on the screen, but the scribble is only visible on the both screens in the second screenshot when I moved the mouse to the presentation screen. The scribble is not visible on the presenter screen on which I drew during writing, or anytime before moving the mouse the presentation screen.

Not sure if that is of any help.

I was wondering if there is any update on this topic? I still cannot get this to work in a usable (classroom/interactive presentation) way.

Try Version 24.2.0.3

with the new Slide Show Settings.

It works well for me with two screens.

90976 HB Impress pen

Version: 24.2.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: da48488a73ddd66ea24cf16bbc4f7b9c08e9bea1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL threaded

It looks like Bug 62366 - SLIDESHOW: Pen on the presenter console

You could add yourself to the CC list to be updated on any changes to the report and to show your interest to developers.

Might be related to refresh in this comment for fixed bug, 129898 – Drawings during presentations wouldn't be shown when setting "mouse pointer as pen" in the slide show settings but above bug is referenced here indicating it is not forgotten

There is also an ongoing effort from Armin, codenamed “IASS”, which is implementing “InterActiveSlideShow” (whatever that might mean - but possibly that is related).

1 Like