Insert Caption on tables missing from menu

Debian Testing,
Build ID: 1:5.4.2-3
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.13; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); Calc: group

The usual procedure Insert → Caption is not possible as “Caption:” is missing…

I think you need to have the ViewCuror inside the table, but neither the cell as a whole nor larger parts of the table selected. Now the ‘Insert’ item of the main menu should contain the ‘Caption’ item when opened.

(Yes. Since the caption will be assigned to the whole of the table, this feels a bit strange.)

That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
I would up-vote, but unfortunately I don’t have enough points.


On my environment (W7 & InsertCaption is not enabled if all or part of the table is selected (one or more cells), but the entry is in the menu.

On the other hand, it is available and functional otherwise (if no selection). I did not find any bug related to this problem…

HTH - Regards

In my case “Caption” is completely missing…also please note: Not same OS not same LO Version…

Yes, I read that… My goal was to help for possible bug report (specify the environments concerned). That said, for a problem like this I would start by testing with a new profile (or try safe mode)

Your suggestion is partially useful.
I restarted in safe mode.
The “Caption” is still missing from Menu but I can introduce it by clicking on the icon…quite annoying but at least I can add it…Hope it will be solved

@Antonello: My answer above should contain the definite solution independent of the OS and for any (not too old) version. Reading the OQ I first assumed you looked for the ‘Caption’ in a context menu.
If the main menu item ‘Insert’ does not offer ‘Caption…’ I would seriously suspect the user profile to be corrupted.

As it does not works even in Safe mode I guess that is not a profile problem. I am not exactely a newbie (surely I am not an expert) I am working with debian OO LO since 17 years…

The non-expert, that’s me, concerning Debian the more. However, I cannot easily believe such an issue to be specific to an OS. On the other hand your argument stressing the safe mode is rather convincing…
My next step would probably be a full uninstall/reinstall or a check with the Dev V6.0.0.0beta1.
(I didn’t find a related bug report.)