Insert rotated images very slow

Hi.
Is there anything to change in options to speed up portrait image insertion on Writer 7.3.1.3 (x64)?
When I insert portrait (rotated) images I have to wait up to 15 seconds for the image to load. If the image is not rotated, the image loads instantly.
Is this a bug?
Greetings from Paraguay.
Claudio Bogado Pompa.

You didn’t tell your OS name and, more important, the format of the images and if the rotation is made inside LO or by an external tool. If you request rotation from LO, this may require reencoding the image, depending on its type. And since LO is non image processing app, this goes through graphics filters which are generally third-party contributed extensions (even if they are provided as “standard” packages). For instance JPEGs cannot be inserted rotated without decoding first and reencoding for storage within the document.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers @ajlittoz
OS is Windows 11 Home 21H2.
Images are 16 MP JPG files, some images are ~500 kB and others ~5 MB.
The images are inserted dragging them from a File Explorer window. In the previous version of Writer I had to select OK on a dialog box asking if the image should be rotated as tagged on the image file. This latest version of Writer does not ask for it anymore. It looks to me that Writer is taking that time because is rotating the image automatically before showing it.
The document is saved as ODT.
What image format should I use to speed up image insertion?

If you can, please file a bug with a sample images attached, which are rotated and non-rotated, and which show the described problem. Thanks.

1 Like

The best way to speed up image insertion is to pre-process in a dedicated application like Gimp (FOSS) or PhotoShop (commercial).

Your document is intended to be either printed or displayed on screen. In either case, a 16MP image is overkill. Your image will end up at most 15cm wide. Common printer density is ~300dpi and screen ~100dpi (except HiDPI screens). So, scaling the image to the document dimensions and simultaneously setting dpi to 300 or 100 will reduce image size and consequently considerably speed up image insertion. Notably because the Writer rendering engine will not have to scale to screen/printer dpi.

And while you’re in the image processing application, rotate and crop the image to the desired result. Of course, work on a copy of the original image.

1 Like

I create a mosaic of images in wich some images are resized bigger than others. Some of the images are panoramas. After inserting and resizing all images, I compress them to 200 dpi. I do not resize the images before insertion because I do not know before inserting what will be the final size of the image.
I guess I could calculate the biggest common resolution I need in my document and use the Batch Image Manipulation Plugin of GIMP https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-batch-resize-images-with-gimp-in-windows-10
Edit: I tested inserting the biggest rotated JPEG file in a empty document and it took two seconds. Looks that I have to wait several seconds inserting a rotated file because the ODT file has nearly 200 images inserted on it.
Edit 2: I also tested inserting and compressing to 300 dpi in one document and then inserting compressing to 200 dpi in other document. It was slower in the 300 dpi file.