Inserting a decimal point

I’d like to have Calc automatically insert a decimal point to a number I enter into a cell. For Example: I enter 123456 then hit enter. That number is then converted to 1234.56 automatically.

This isn’t a trivial task, since you want Calc to insert a value different than the value you’ve typed. It doesn’t matter that it’s the result of a trivial calculation (divide input by 100).

I fear you can’t tell Calc to “autocorrect” the values you’ve typed in. But you could use the “Paste special” functionality:

1. After you’ve entered the values (for example, 123456), select any empty cell and enter 100 as value (the divisor).
  2. copy that cell holding the divisor;
  3. select the cells holding the values you’ve entered in the first step;
  4. Hit CTRL+SHIFT+V or Menu “Edit” → “Paste Special”;
  5. In the Options window, select “Divide” from Operations:

As a result, Calc will replace the values you’ve entered in step 1 by the result of those values divided by 100 (the divisor value from step 2).

A similar solution has one column (or row) as your input (e.g. 123456), and another the result of a formula. For example, if column A is the input, then B1 might have the formula ‘=A1/100’. The end result is not as clean as tohuwawohu’s solution, but requires no work after entering a number.

@hunteke: good idea!