Inserting cross-references to section headings with heading numbers

I wish to create cross-references in my documents to section headings and to figures/tables. How do I insert these cross-references, so they show the headings or captions to include the numbering?

Example: I want to insert a cross-reference to section 3.4, titled Foobar for All. I insert the cross-reference, which includes the text “Foobar for All”, but no section number. The heading has the section number showing.

To get the best advice, always mention OS name, LO version and save format. Be aware that most of the recipes are valid only when save format is native, i.e. .odt.

Your question needs also information on how you number your chapters (beware, ‘section’ has a special technical meaning in
Writer parlance and is not related to chapters – I assume you’re talking about chapters, sub-chapters, sub-sub–…). Many newbies make the mistake of adding chapter numbering by pressing the “toggle list numbering” button. This creates a conflict from which it is very difficult to recover. So, check that your headings are numbered according to the specification.

Chapter numbering is controlled by Tools>Chapter Numbering exclusively where you can configure each level individually.

A chapter heading has several component which are referenced separately: chapter number, heading contents, page number, relative position (above/below).

You insert a cross-reference to one of the components with Insert>Cross-reference, Cross-references tab; Type Headings; Selection: click on the desired heading; information to insert chosen in Refer using. You must use one cross-reference per component (number, heading text, page number).

Version: 7.4.2.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 382eef1f22670f7f4118c8c2dd222ec7ad009daf
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

So, check that your headings are numbered according to the specification.

I don’t know what this means. What is “the specification”???

After experimenting, I found that chapter numbers are not separate bookmarks. They are separate cross-references though.

What I mean by that is Writer offers a “standard” chapter numbering method which is Tools>Chapter Numbering.
It is possible to do it differently for special needs of a document. But getting it right requires a very rigorous approach full of traps. I have seen many newbies considering as “intuitive” to add list numbering to headings (on the ground it is done so in Word). The look is effectively the same but this behaves as a faux-ami because the underlying engine is not same. And you guess that if the wrong engine is used, you’ll have problems in the TOC or cross-refs.