Inside a ordered list how to insert a new paragraph without numbering

Inside an ordered list i want to insert a new paragraph without numbering like the example below:

Body Text   
  1. Ordered list (item 1) (paragraph 1)<new paragraph mark-enter>

paragraph 2 (of item 1)<enter>

paragraph 3 (of item 1)<enter>

2. Same ordered list (item 2) (paragraph 1) <enter>

paragraph 2 (of item2)<enter>

paragraph 3 (of item 3)<enter>

Please, any suggestions?

After typing Enter, before entering “paragraph 2”, press Bksp. This will erase the item number, keeping all other formatting attributes unchanged.

To suppress numbering in existing items, put the cursor at the very beginning of the item and press Bksp.

Note that such unnumbered item is still a member of the list. To get a “standard” paragraph, not member of any list, you must remove explicitly the numbering by toggling it either with shortcut F12 or pressing the toolbar button.

Note also that direct list numbering (as opposed to one provided by a duly configured paragraph style) is quite “sticky”, even if you assign another paragraph style. To get rid of numbering, see the preceding suggestion.

PS: always mention OS name and LO version as there are subtle differences between platforms and releases.

1 Like

The shortcut that @ajlittoz described inserts a so-called “unnumbered entry”. In the document model, each list item consists of one or several paragraphs; the default “one paragraph = one list item” correspondence is just most often used. Adding more paragraphs to the same list item is performed by the unnumbered entry function. It also exists on the respective toolbar and in the Format|Lists menu.

1 Like

My system is
Version: 7.0.4.2
Build ID: 00(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.10; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: el-GR (en_US.UTF-8); UI: el-GR
Debian package version: 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u1
Calc: threaded
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!

Now i understand this mechanism better but still have serious problems for using a list environment together with tables. For example when i want to insert a new paragraph with numbered formula inside a table, using Auto text that i have create, the numbering automatic continuing inside the table, because a initial “paragraph ending mark” comes together with the table stored in AutoText. On the other hand this mechanism needs a lot of effort for manage a item lets say big as one or two pages. I think the problem comes from semantic use of “paragraph ending mark” with two ways, one for ending a paragraph and the other for ending a list item. Maybe effort for users is better if you introduce a new “list item ending mark”.
Now i use
Version: 7.2.7.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 8d71d29d553c0f7dcbfa38fbfda25ee34cce99a2
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: el-GR (el_GR); UI: el-GR
Calc: threaded

I don’t quite follow your explanation. Using list items in tables changes nothing to the general scheme. However, your AutoText may contain some list numbering as direct formatting. As I already mentioned, direct format numbering is one of the worst nightmares in controlling document formatting. The only reliable and predictable list formatting is the use of specific paragraph styles with an associated list style so that all the adverse effects of direct formatting vanish. Unfortunately, this is not immediate to set up (for a newbie or a switcher from M$ Word).

Could you attach a sample file with an occurrence of your AutoText for further analysis?

This is a file with the problem i try to explain…
List.odt (30.3 KB)
Sorry about my poor English.

Your problem is the traditional direct formatting insanity which is amplified in list context. You have generated your list item by applying the list [numbering] property with the toolbar button (or F12). This property lives in its own space and can’t be removed with Format>Clear Direct Formatting or Ctrl+M.

The fact you used Bksp to add an unnumbered list item changes nothing: you still have a numbered item with a void number; it is still part of the list.

When you “fn” + F3 with or without Enter preceding it, the elements added by AutoText inherit all direct formatting currently in effect, including list context. All paragraphs created by AutoText will then be list items.

How to fix?

>> You must exit list context.

In “professional” formatting workflow, you would use one dedicated paragraph style (linked with a list style) for your list items. The trick with Bksp for unnumbered item also works there. You would just change for an “ordinary” paragraph style before invoking AutoText.

In your direct formatting routine, you can revert to non-list paragraphs with Ctrl+Shift+F12 before invoking AutoText.

Direct formatting always plays tricks on your back. Avoid it as much as you can. The safest formatting method is based on styles, but not only paragraph styles (which are shared by practically all document processing applications). Learn how to use character, page, frame and list styles. The two latter ones are the most difficult to tame: positioning properties for frames and interactions/overrides for list styles against the paragraph style they are associated with.

But once you have set up your styles, I insist: all style categories, formatting a document is a real pleasure. The key to success is to understand that styling is a kind of semantic markup where you add author intent metadata to your text. Appearance, i.e. typographical attributes, comes as a (secondary) consequence of the markup. You separate contents from shape. This is where you gain power, versatility, reliability and ease of appearance change.