Installed Libreoffice 7.1 on ubuntu 16.04 LTS, it does not start and I get the following error

installed Libreoffice 7.1 on ubuntu 16.04 LTS, it does not start and I get the following error.

(soffice:6723): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: :1:107: ‘min-height’ is not a valid property name

(soffice:6723): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: :1:123: ‘min-width’ is not a valid property name
/opt/libreoffice7.1/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/libreoffice7.1/program/libvclplug_gtk3lo.so: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_path_iter_set_object_name

Any help is appreciated.

I have installed JRE and GTK 3 already.

I was able to successfully start my Libreoffice 7.1 :smiley: So Happy.
I installed GTK 3.0 by doing following:

sudo apt-get install sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

It was ultimately GTK 3 error which was removed after installing.

Had a similar problem, now fixed. I have several versions of LO installed on Linux Mint 18.3 so that I can always go back to prior version after installing the latest.

Installed LO 7.1.3 which initially worked fine. Then I removed an older LO version (6.2.?) which broke 7.1.3 but NOT prior versions 6.4 and 7.0.

Symptoms were LO 7.1.3 just puts up the initial splash but then quits a few seconds later. Starting from command line instead of GUI shows these errors:

(soffice:21419): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:193: 'min-height' is not a valid property name
(soffice:21419): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:209: 'min-width' is not a valid property name

/opt/libreoffice7.1/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/libreoffice7.1/program/libvclplug_gtk3lo.so: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_path_iter_set_object_name

Fix for me was to add an environment variable with this command line:

export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen

and LO 7.1.3 works fine again.

According to this, LO 7.1.3 requires GTK+3 v3.20. Prior LO versions only need v3.18 (which is the version in my Mint 18.3) – explaining why those previous LO versions still worked for me.

EDIT: To make the change permanent I added “export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen” to the .profile file in my home directory, logged out and back in again.

This seems to work for now. The better long term fix is probably to upgrade GTK+3 to >= 3.20

Thank you dhmsjs :grinning:!

export SAL_USE_VCLPLUG=gen

also solved this for LibreOffice-7.1.6-x86_64.AppImage on HP ThinPro 7.1 (oem Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

@dhmsjs: How did you come by this solution please? I’m used to having to set

SAL_FONTPATH_PRIVATE
SAL_IGNOREXERRORS
SAL_CHANGENOTIFIER_UPDATEINTERVAL

@Developers: Why was this required outside of the AppImage container; shouldn’t the AppRun have done this within the container – in other words, is this perchance a defect of the 7.1.6 AppImage? TIA.