Invesigate why LO can't open EPUB file?

Hello,

I need to use LO’s spellchecker on an EPUB file that was created from a PDF by Abbyy Finereader.

The EPUB file opens fine on Windows’ SumatraPDF, and also in EPUB editor Sigil after clicking OK on “Warning: This EPUB had HTML files that were not well formed or are missing a DOCTYPE, html, head or body elements. They were automatically fixed based on your Preference setting to Clean on Open.”

However, LO (24.2.5.2) refuses to open it at all: “The file ‘test.epub’ is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. LibreOffice can try to repair the file. The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or of structural document damage due to data transmission. We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired document. Execution of macros is disabled for this document. Should LibreOffice repair the file?”. Clicked on Yes → “The file ‘test.epub’ could not be repaired and therefore cannot be opened.”

Is there a way to fix this error so I can open that file in LO?

Thank you.

It is not a mistake, LO is not a reader/editor of EPUB files.

1 Like

That figures.

Is there an open-source alternative spellchecker I could use? Provided it has no side-effect, I could extract the XHTML files from the EPUB, and copy them back after editing.

Edit: Never mind. I’ll just convert the EPUB to DOCX , and edit it in LO.

Abbyy Finereader has a very good spell checker. Can’t you export from there directly as .docx if needed?

1 Like

I didn’t know AF had a spellchecker. I’ll… check it out :slight_smile:

Maybe you have the cut down version that comes with some scanners and printers. That might have reduced spell checking capabilities

1 Like