Is it possible to insert chapter heading without using a master document

LibreOffice help says to use outline numbering.
Googling reports that you further need to use Insert->fields->other->Chapter->Chapter-name
but his only replaces any selected text with a grey box.
Further online help said you need to create a mater document and put your chapters in separate files.
I really don’t want to do this. I want my document to remain as a single files with internal
chapters and its beginning to look like I may have to manually type chapter headings and change the numbering if that becomes necessary.

Is there a way to do it properly please.

Start by reading the Writer Guide provided by the Document Foundation.

Your question references many notions that need to be put into perspective to each other.

• Outline numbering: this is the sequence counter used to number chapters. In recent releases, its name has been changed to Chapter Numbering. Unless you want to play (dirty) power tricks, let LO writer manage it, it does so quite well.

• Field insertion: they are mainly used for cross-references (e.g. “see chapter x”). In principle they are not used in chapter/section headings as those as supposed to be “primary” independent data.

• Master document: used as a binder to gather several book parts stored as independent files. This is advanced usage fit for really big documents. To begin with LO Writer, put it aside.

Finally, built-in feature for chapter and section headings is based on paragraph style family Heading x with x in range 1 to 10 reflecting the heading level. Then to enter a heading, switch to paragraph style Heading x (or change it afterwards to promote an ordinary paragraph to heading status) and type your text. When you hit Enter, paragraph style automatically revert to Body Text.

Note that chapter numbering is not enabled by default. If you prefer numbered chapters, you must set numbering properties with Tools>Chapter Numbering.

Once again, LO Writer is not a simple text editor but a document processor. It is a feature-rich application. To fully benefit from its power, you must understand its basic underlying principles. For that, read the Getting Started guides, mainly the introduction on styles.

If this answer helped you, please accept it by clicking the check mark :heavy_check_mark: to the left and, karma permitting, upvote it. If this resolves your problem, close the question, that will help other people with the same question.

(Edited to fix typos only)

That was helpful. The Writer documentation and you comments gave a solution. Specifically
Go to
Tools->Outline Numbering select style e.g. heading1
Select numbering style, for example I.II.III
Add a word to start your chapter heading such as “Chapter” to the field ‘Before’ and the field ‘After’
Click Okay
Select Chap head title text
In the tool bar find the styles icon which looks like a keypad with a finger on it. This should present a box with a list of styles. Double click on heading1