Is LibreOffice 4.2 for Mac a 64 bit program

The new mac release will not run 32 bit programs. I need to be able to open libra office and open office files.

Hello,

if you are really asking about version 4.2 (last 4.2.8.2 release is from Dec 2014) then you have the choice between 32-bit and 64-bit. If “4.2” is a typo and you mean 6.2 then there is no choice any longer and there is the 64-bit variant only.

Warning in advance: There are some reports about problems with LibreOffice and Catalina, due to changes in Mac OS X related verifiying non-Apple applications (just in case your question is related to now released Catalina upgrade).

LibreOffice 6.2.7 will not load on Catalina. Any idea how soon this problem can be addressed with Apple?

Absolutely no idea - I’ve got absolutely no insight about Apple <-> LibreOffice (TDF) relationships. The only solution for now is to disable verification process - if you are interested follow my answer to your own question related to this topic (I won’t repeat here to avoid being blamed to spread recommendations subverting system security of Mac users)

An installation window appears: drag and drop the Libre Office icon onto the Applications icon in the same window. You may be required to enter your administrator password.

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/macos/

Which question are you answering here ?