Is their a backup fonction in version 7.6.6 ? (writer app)

Hello everyone,

I use version 24.2.3 and that’s the second time that I loose every data in my odt file. That’s really annoying so think to pass to this old version (7.6.6) because it says on the website that it’s more reliable.

But do we have a automatic backup that is set on this version ? Because if it doesn’t have this I will go back to word.

Thanks in advance.

You can also help yourself:

Preventing data disaster

One major point is: For older versions (7.6.x and below) you need to activate saving backups yourself! Starting with 24.x it is the default for new installations.

Still versions are in use longer, so more bugs are known and corrected. But, if your type of work triggers an unknown bug this may be the case in both versions. If you don’t report your bug at bugzilla, it may never be fixed, as developers may never know…
Bit: Check also, where you wish to store your backups!

Yes yes I do found the backups so I know where they go. But I don’t want something as a simple text editor to be unstable. So I will use something else.

LO-writer is NOT a simple Texteditor… use something else!

1 Like

MS had WordPad for you. Don’t try MS-Word. Nothing simple there, too.

Think before writing. There are complete distributions based on something named Debian using testing and unstable. And LibreOffice gives you choice of two different maintained versions.
In OpenSource Software you can see development, so you may be aware of bugs, wich you never learn on closed source. If you don’t wish to know: Only read advertisements.
I actually can recommend MS: They really promised to improve security now (after some hints by CISA) :grin:

See Saving Documents Automatically and perhaps also install and use the Timestamp Backup from FlowCont - LibreOffice extensions.

The best backup engine is YOU. No automatic procedure can replace a good personal backup strategy.

That said, Why is your installation so unstable? Which OS? Have a special hardware configuration? Has a recent update (OS or app altogether) rendered your computer sensitive to any “glitch”?

Hi thanks for your answer, I have a laptop on Win 10 and a desktop PC on win 10 too. I save these files on a “could” (Pcloud society) and I found the backup in the laptop because the last time I save these files on the could where on this laptop.

And it’s strange because it works better with .docx files than .odt
Even if the libre office says that I should work worse on .docx

Litterally I have 2 copy of those files one in .docx and one with .odt and I loose data only on .odt

If the .odt results from conversion of DOCX, don’t be surprised.

LOL so why libre office recommand to use .odt ???

ODF (file extension .odt) is LO native format. If you use it from the start, there is no problem.
But, if you try to manipulate an alien format document, e.g. DOCX, There is first a mandatory conversion to internal format. This conversion is approximative for two reasons:

• DOCX specification is not frrely and publicly availabe
    Most knowledge about it results from retro-engineering documents. It is more or less guess game. Some DOCX features is still not thoroughly understood
  • Word and Writer are not based on the same founding principles
    There is a common intersection between both but some features exist in Word not in Writer and vice versa. DOCX being poorer in abstract typographical concepts, translation will use low-level directives to best approximte the intended appearance. This contributes to file size inflation and a formatting mess prohibiting document-wide automation

So, TDF recommends using its native format with its applications. This statement applies also to any provider and any program. LOL back!

If you have a storage problem (docx working better than odt), then your cloud service is not “neutral” regarding files. This is a shame.